Help...my nuts a falling out!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bienfang

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Installing hub covers or hub caps... The kind with the hex nut built into the cap... Hub cover falls off the nut after installation. I hear that the nuts are just glued in to the back of the cap... Any tips?

I'm sorry to hear you have issues with your nuts. You might want to make sure there is no lubricants on them. Sometimes they will get greasy from playing with them. Are you sure your nuts are the proper size? If their too small, the hubs will not grab tight. Another thing you might want to check, the holes the nuts go in should have rings around the ends of them, or curve in on the tips. If your nuts are too long, it will not allow the curved ends to wrap around the taped side of the nut. Send a picture of your nuts and where they go into the hub caps.

hub cover pic 1.jpg

I'm sorry to hear you have issues with your nuts. You might want to make sure there is no lubricants on them. Sometimes they will get greasy from playing with them. Are you sure your nuts are the proper size? If their too small, the hubs will not grab tight. Another thing you might want to check, the holes the nuts go in should have rings around the ends of them, or curve in on the tips. If your nuts are too long, it will not allow the curved ends to wrap around the taped side of the nut. Send a picture of your nuts and where they go into the hub caps.

try a low profile nut in whatever size you need then more of the nyloc will be in contact with the male threads

many hardware stores have the sizes we use on the shelf. I use acme nut n bolt..

The hub covers in the bag seem to have the hex nut attached to the hub base at 2 points. The upper right hand hub base shows it the best. I may just try to find another nut that fits and add some CA or sealer to try to keep the nut attached to the base.... we'll see...

you can use red loctight.Also use a tooth pick to apply a couple dots of it..

That, there, be a friction mount. I would just glue the sucker in. Red locktite would be good to use, as recommended by TNT, or rubber cement. therefore you can pop the nut out if you want to. Then again, with CA, you can heat the nut and the CA will come lose.

You know, there are so many ways this conversation about nuts can go. I applaud myself, and all of you, for keeping the inner jokes under control. It was REALLY hard... keeping the jokes at bay.

And it solved my problem.... Will post a pic or 2 when I'm done with my 55 ford...

What did you end up doing to solve the issue?

Gel type 30 second dry CA. It sucked into the cracks... No mess... All nuts now firmly attached and seem pretty solid with outer caps screwed on tight.

Back