HELP! Buggy won't start up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontbeamark

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a
Redcat Racing Shockwave Nitro Buggy, Blue, 1/10 Scale and I can't get it to start it up . Well I managed to start it after about an hour of non-stop trying, I've only used it about 2 times in the past 2 years and I didn't break it in. When I managed to fire it up it started spinning out of control I had it on top of a box so the wheels were spinning but it got out if hand and smoke started coming out so I had to plug the exhaust and cut it. Afterwards trying to fix the needles I couldn't fire it back up. Help please

Attachments

• add0ffcd-50e8-4df3-b700-2e9dc26cdf92.jpg
    add0ffcd-50e8-4df3-b700-2e9dc26cdf92.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 437
http://content.yudu.com/Library/A18...ls/57444/Lightning-STR--amp--Shockwave-Manual

First thing you need to do is verify that your transmitter and receiver are functioning the way they should and do not start the engine until they are. Then you need to set you carb settings to the break-in specs and start over. Have your ignitor charged up good and take the glow plug out and check it. Make sure the fuel line is full up to the carb by cranking it over a few times with your finger covering the exhaust to pressurize the tank and push it to the carb.

And you need to put the air filter back on before you run it outside.

Sounds like you should have probably read up before starting your rc for the first time. Anyway it sounds like your clutch shoes are fried and if I was you I would set the needles back to factory settings and run it through a break in and maybe be able to save the engine.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/t...y-and-you-bought-a-rtr-read-this-first.87194/.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/clutch-installation-and-rebuild.109150/

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

Tried my best to find the factory needle (HSN and LSN) settings for this engine but couldn't. Does your manual tell you what the factory needle settings should be? If so reset to factory and go from there. If not, set the HSN and LSN adjustment screws to flush with the edges of the valve housings and go from there. Make absolutely sure the carb-gap is 1mm, this may need to be a little less than 1mm but it's a good starting point if nothing else. Also make sure that you're throttle servo ALWAYS returns the carb-slide back to this 1mm gap by actuating the throttle back and forth (engine off) and then check the gap. From here follow this guide for breaking in your engine. While breaking in the engine you'll want to tune it first with the HSN making sure that while you're on the throttle the engine doesn't bog down, adjust accordingly so that you can see the trail of blue smoke from the exhaust while on power. Once you've set the HSN you can set the LSN by starting the engine and while idling pinch the fuel line near the HSN, you want the engine to cut out in about 3 seconds (if it's cold 4 or 5 seconds). The Tuning Flow Chart is really helpful as well for troubleshooting various lean and rich states. I'm sure the engine is fine, just sat awhile and needs to be worked out of its slumber. Let us know how things are going.

Firstly, you should of avoided red-cat, and secondly you should of read the instructions- but, everyone makes mistakes so...
1) Check for any air leaks
2) Take of air filter and check linkages and for any foreign objects.
3) Make sure it is properly primed
4)make sure glow igniter and plug works.
Try those and see if it helps, if they don't I'm happy to help!