GS Storm Shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bustedgears

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a question regarding the shocks particularly the rears on the GS Storm RTR.

I aquired this truck second hand and the rear shocks are blown. Is there any way to rebuild them, or do I have to replace them with new ones. I'd really like to keep the cost of this one down to a minimum...... too many shelf queens.

What part of the shock itself is blown?

I can tell you, from experience, that the washer that the shock piston sits on is prone to "coning" (bending into a cone, from the pressures of hard landings). Your best bet is to break 'em down and see... Best case scenario, it's just a couple of piston-washers (if so, get some ofna ones; just a tad thicker and more durable, and should run you less than 2 bucks). Worst case scenario, the o-rings are shot, and for that, you'll need the rebuild kits...

Also, if it's the buggy, and not the "SUT", I'll be more than able to provide part numbers (and expoded diagrams... got the manual scanned in)...

what is the part number for the rebuild kit? It's the O-rings.

Use my website to find the part number
http://rcdocuments.com

Another thing to look at is to make sure the shafts aren't bent. Strip the shaft down and roll them on a flat surface. If they are bent, replace them.

Seems like the shock pistons are missing..... They're not even in there. Looks like another trip to the LHS

HOW did they not collapse and flop all over w/o them?????
I mean that's what steadies the shaft in the body

Look for scratches on the inside of the shock body caused by the shaft. This my cause performance issues.

i know i have seen that rebuild kit on horizon hobby before. have you looked there?

I fixed them as best as I could. Yea, there are scratches in the one, but I changed the body out to another one.

cool..good to hear youve got it taken care of.

Excellent to hear. What I did with mine is, I took the pistons off, and cut threads down to where the washer sits below the piston, then put the thinnest nuts I could find on it, then reassembled as normal. Haven't had a problem since.