Grinding noise from somewhere

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecremeegg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Very new to RC and bought my TT02 prebuilt by someone else.
Had a few little issues but the big one I've just got is a grinding noise, please see the video below.

I can't work out if it's the gears or the drive shaft that's causing it? It was fine but just had a rather brutal bash session where it took some big hits.
Any obvious things to check? I've taken the diff apart and it all looks fine?

Sorry if it's super obvious!

start removing 1 part at a time until you can trace down the issue..

1) pull the pinion gear and roll
2) pull center diff to examine front/rear drive line
3) check for seized/blown bearings or any cracked parts chipped teeth, etc

I’m pretty sure all R/Cs have that sound, it’s the motor turning. Perhaps gear mesh too tight, or bearing busted?

It didn't make it before yesterday though. The centre shaft is really loose forward and back, is that normal?

It didn't make it before yesterday though. The centre shaft is really loose forward and back, is that normal?

normal is defined by how the car sounds when new, anything different is not normal.

Did you inspect bearings and worn/cracked parts? It will be impossible for anyone to say what the problem is by sound, more than likely something is broken and causing the gears to lose mesh... I once replaced the diff crown/pinion gears that were stripped only to strip them again because I didn't realize the diff case was cracked, doh!

Hi all,

Very new to RC and bought my TT02 prebuilt by someone else.
Had a few little issues but the big one I've just got is a grinding noise, please see the video below.

I can't work out if it's the gears or the drive shaft that's causing it? It was fine but just had a rather brutal bash session where it took some big hits.
Any obvious things to check? I've taken the diff apart and it all looks fine?

Sorry if it's super obvious!
That sound is coming from the gears mesh you can see it binding and jumping around.. And the drive shaft looks lose and wobbly. Are all the bearings good. And the diffs and bearing. And all the screws are tight. Definitely need to reset the pinon/spur mesh. I would also go over that drive shaft. It looks lose as goose..

So I took it all apart again and found a tiny grain of sand I think in one of the pinion gears and removed it - all now fixed!
I feel a bit stupid now but thanks for all the suggestions!
The drive shaft is all in place, bearings are good, I think it looked wobbly as nothing was holding it down for the video purposes

So I took it all apart again and found a tiny grain of sand I think in one of the pinion gears and removed it - all now fixed!
The drive shaft is all in place, bearings are good, I think it looked wobbly as nothing was holding it down for the video purposes
Just reading through this thread, and after reading that it was after a bashing session, my first thought was to first check for foreign materials lodged in somewhere.
Glad you found it before it did even more damage if you would have just disregard it, and kept on using it.

You found a grain of sand in ONE of the pinon gears. Oh did you mean in one of the teeth on the pinon gear. Since there is only one pinon gear. Glad you found the issue.

Running in sandy conditions can lead to alot of problems. Definitely need to ckeck and clean RC after every bash session. Happy bashing bud...👍👍

Like @Xraycer said that could have lead to a whole heep of problems and possibly haven to pick up new pinon/spur gears...

Is there not any form of gasket to help prevent sand/dust ingress? Seems a bit remiss to me?

Back