Great planes after run or 3 in 1 oil. Opinions??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joebegsmaxx2.5

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I bought 3 in 1 today but just want to read some different options and wondering who has tried what and how well it worked.

Hurd and read b4 peeps have used Marvel mystery oil as I know 3:1 oil is not friendly to rc plastic. seen a guys xxxt mf turn into a blob 3 days after he lubed the thing and gave it a wipe down with a sham wow.win 11 is not good 4 copy n paste. had to dl A app.(off topic but u all might wanta know)

I bought 3 in 1 today but just want to read some different options and wondering who has tried what and how well it worked.
Thats all I use is 3 n 1 oil.. and the only time I use after run oil. Is in the dead of winter. When I know it will be a couple months before they get ran again... from week to week I don't use anything. It's been this way since 2001 2002.. and have never had any problems with any nitro engine.. just make sure you run your engine completely dry out of fuel..... 👍👍👍 oh and I have never heard of 3 n 1 melting RC plastic.. matter fact I will see what it does when I get home..on some old parts I have. Plus why the he*l would someone wipe down their rc with 3 n 1.. sorry that's just dumb.. its a machine oil not made for plastics in the first place..... got to love the geniuses of this world...🤔🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍

I have never used ARO. My cars sat for 2 years after we moved. Started right up like I ran them yesterday. Using a good fuel is the most important thing IMHO.
I don't think it will hurt anything I have just never done it.

Thats all I use is 3 n 1 oil.. and the only time I use after run oil. Is in the dead of winter. When I know it will be a couple months before they get ran again... from week to week I don't use anything. It's been this way since 2001 2002.. and have never had any problems with any nitro engine.. just make sure you run your engine completely dry out of fuel..... 👍👍👍 oh and I have never heard of 3 n 1 melting RC plastic.. matter fact I will see what it does when I get home..on some old parts I have. Plus why the he*l would someone wipe down their rc with 3 n 1.. sorry that's just dumb.. its a machine oil not made for plastics in the first place..... got to love the geniuses of this world...🤔🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍
Yea I thought that was kinda crazy myself. My first nitro was a 2 wheel drive buggy type deal almost like a crappy rusler, it was trazzas though but anyway I never used ARO in that because I was 16 a d had no idea what I was doing and that motor never had any issues so I guess your right on the week to week deal

I just bought 3 & 1 oil for the engine internals only ,I would of never thought of using it to wipe
down the whole platform ,not because it might eat ,just the simple fact that it is costly an is a waste
of time!..:hehe:
All of my engines for years has not seen nothing but fuel ,but it is a headache cleaning up the gunk
after they sit for months on in ,better to have something in them than nothing ,this year is going to be different ,
I want to eliminate some horror!..🤦‍♂️😂👍

I just bought 3 & 1 oil for the engine internals only ,I would of never thought of using it to wipe
down the whole platform ,not because it might eat ,just the simple fact that it is costly an is a waste
of time!..:hehe:
All of my engines for years has not seen nothing but fuel ,but it is a headache cleaning up the gunk
after they sit for months on in ,better to have something in them than nothing ,this year is going to be different ,
I want to eliminate some horror!..🤦‍♂️😂👍
Yeah why some one would use
3 n 1 to wipe down the whole rc is ridiculous.. completely pointless. Like you said it's a machine oil nothing more or less. I found the trick to the gunt and old fuel. Is to completely run it dry. I run tank empty. Then pull fuel line from carb. And fire the engine till it wont.. then it's pretty much fuel free. To sit for a while at bottom. 👍👍

Honestly I'm with @WVNed I've never used oil just ran them dry and never had a problem granted the fuel I run has a ridiculous amount of oil in it so maybe thats why

Honestly I'm with @WVNed I've never used oil just ran them dry and never had a problem granted the fuel I run has a ridiculous amount of oil in it so maybe thats why
Surprised you haven't had problems with tuning. With alot of oil. Do you know how much % of oil your running??

I run Bones Brew 30/10.
Just ordered some same %..I've been running Odonnell's 30%... I'm wondering what the nitronoob runs. That he says it's super high oil.. sounds like he's got top fuel???

BB was recommended when I first got here. It's all my engines have ever had. They always start right up and run with the same tune as last time. Even after years I found out. I only have to tweak a bit for seasonal temp changes. It's the batteries that are a big pain in the butt.

BB was recommended when I first got here. It's all my engines have ever had. They always start right up and run with the same tune as last time. Even after years I found out. I only have to tweak a bit for seasonal temp changes. It's the batteries that are a big pain in the butt.
Hell yeah. It's all about the fuel when it comes to the tune. And starting is alot easier with good fuel and and tune... and can run forever. Agreed the electric side is 100% more of a pain and headache. Alot more involved when it comes to the lipo side of the hobby. But a hell of alot more instant tourqe and power....

Surprised you haven't had problems with tuning. With alot of oil. Do you know how much % of oil your running??
No sir top fuel is junk I run vp master basher 20/14
Even on 20% nitro 14% oil my truck holds a tune and makes insane power I did a top speed run in a field and got 46mph out of it and with that blend I'm getting much longer run times then when I used to run Byron's back in the day

Last edited:
I was talking about batteries for nitro cars. Not electric vehicles, Capacitors and tiny packs to run big servos and battery boxes that need a certain shape battery to fit.

No sir top fuel is junk I run vp master basher 20/14
Even on 20% nitro 14% oil my truck holds a tune and makes insane power I did a top speed run in a field and got 46mph out of it and with that blend I'm getting much longer run times then when I used to run Byron's back in the day
I bet you drop done to a 10% oil. You would get even more power/ speed and better tune and runs. The oil % should be between 9% - 12%. For bashers and lower for racers..
I was talking about batteries for nitro cars. Not electric vehicles, Capacitors and tiny packs to run big servos and battery boxes that need a certain shape battery to fit.
Sorry my bad. Look into the lipo hump packs. And to hell with the boxes. All they do is restrict your options.. You can strap the packs to the front shock tower on the back side. Or anywhere. You can also can shrink wrap it so it's waterproof. 👍👍

Last edited:
I bet you drop done to a 10% oil. You would get even more power/ speed and better tune and runs. The oil % should be between 9% - 12%. For bashers and lower for racers..
Maybe true but I'm happy with the fuel I run plus I run rich like the ex president I don't really care much about anymore power or speed I just go out bash hard and have a good time
Maybe true but I'm happy with the fuel I run plus I run rich like the ex president I don't really care much about anymore power or speed I just go out bash hard and have a good time
Thanks for trying to help out though I really appreciate everyone on here

Thanks for trying to help out though I really appreciate everyone on here
I wasn't saying which fuels. Was just throwing info out there for ya. What ever floats your boat man. Or gets your tires dirty.. 👍👍. You run rich because of the high oil content. The engine thinks its lean..