Got lucky

• Thread starter alpinehyperlite
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinehyperlite

Original RCNT Nutswinger
Supporter
Police
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So i got pretty lucky tonight. While lying in bed reading, i heard a shrill sound comming through the walls. I thought it might be some of my electronic equipment making noise, so i got up to check it out. Nothing. I barley had time to throw a pair of pants on when there was some frantic knocking on my front door. I opened the door to find my upstairs neighbor's two young girls (ages 6 and 10) screaming that their apartment was on fire. I grabbed my fire extinguisher and flashlight and ran outside (29 degrees outside) in only a pair of jeans. I ran up the stairs and couldnt see anything but thick black smoke bellowing out of the open door. I ran inside and found the girls mom crawling around in the back of the apartment unable to find her way out. I was able to get her outside, and saw that the kitchen was on fire due to a grease fire on the stove. I was able to use my fire extinguisher and hers to put it out. About 5 minutes later the fire department showed up. After explaining what had happened, they entered the apartment and came right back out saying that everything was taken care of. All i could do was joke by saying "See, the cop can put out fires too, Can yall fight crime?" To which all i got was mean stares. HAHA Everyone was fine, minus a little smoke inhalation by me and the mom, and no serious damage occurred. (Thank god, all my stuff was just a few feet below the fire). I just wish my lungs would quit burning.

Damn man. Glad to hear the happy ending. They're sure lucky that you were home and know how to keep cool. Great job brother.

I was waiting for some kind of punchline, but nice work man!

All's well that ends well. No one was seriously injured and no major property damage. You were very lucky, Alpine. Nice going.

Good job man, only thing hurt was a few firefighters dignity. :hehe:

Was having a lil pain in my chest last night, so as a precaution i called into work (3rd time in 5 years). Feeling a lil better today, but if i dont feel better by tomorrow, going to the Dr to get checked out.

Theres always something crazy going on with you and your home. Glad your ok.

Wow. It's good you were there. Seriously. The mom would have been in big trouble.

We pulled a guy out of his apartment here after the fire department took down his door with an ax. We were unable to kick in his door or wake him before they got here.
The smoke burned my nose in the hall. Really toxic. For the next few days he kept saying he was going to get checked out. He never did, and we lost a good guy about 3 weeks later. We don't know what he died of, but we still wonder.

PLEASE, James, go to the doctor and get checked out. Some of that smoke is deadly toxin.

I lost another friend and his 6 year old son in New York in the early 90s. his wife and baby got onto the porch roof, and they found him and the son on the floor by a window. Smoke inhalation, not the fire.
The extreme irony to that story is that the smoke detector had been disconnected, and HE was the local Fire Chief.

Very heroic act indeed alpine thats for sure, hope your feeling better as the day progresses. +1

I got checked out by the EMT onscene, he said give it a few days. I still can't get the smell out of my skin after 3 showers.
A lil of the damages. wasn't too bad.

cdc4cb00.jpg

d45dba99.jpg

aa94bafe.jpg

dfa68f29.jpg

I would say awesome as well, good job definitely! Oddest thing though i have to add, about the neighbors needing help, my friend got his car stuck in a snow banken down the road from my house this winter, we ran down to help pull him out, after getting the car out and hooting/hollering, we heard a noise in the distance, instantly shut right up to listen, and heard a screaming help from a man down the road at his house. So we instantly ran down to find a correctional officer pinned between his plow/truck and garage door, the truck in gear slowly applying more pressure, after backing up the truck, we had to pull the plow back, looks like he was unhooking it and forgot to put the truck in park. After watching him stand around in shock, no words no signs of pain just complete shock, he started to come out of it and thank us, as his wife came out of the house, he nearly attacted her for not hearing his calls for help as we did 500ft up the road, this happened not even 2-weeks ago, he ended up ok thank god, and took down our names to post as good Samaritans, this took place at about 9:pm, and was definitely cold out where I'm in maine, was pretty scary to see the guy pinned, but after a few mins of shock, and flipping out on his wife, we all went home with our minds blown, and he was ok.

Last edited:
Three cheers for the GOOD people left in the world, no matter how small the act seems it might hold the power to change lives.

Wow. It's good you were there. Seriously. The mom would have been in big trouble.

We pulled a guy out of his apartment here after the fire department took down his door with an ax. We were unable to kick in his door or wake him before they got here.
The smoke burned my nose in the hall. Really toxic. For the next few days he kept saying he was going to get checked out. He never did, and we lost a good guy about 3 weeks later. We don't know what he died of, but we still wonder.

PLEASE, James, go to the doctor and get checked out. Some of that smoke is deadly toxin.

I lost another friend and his 6 year old son in New York in the early 90s. his wife and baby got onto the porch roof, and they found him and the son on the floor by a window. Smoke inhalation, not the fire.
The extreme irony to that story is that the smoke detector had been disconnected, and HE was the local Fire Chief.

I'm pretty sure I saw a show Medical mysteries or something like that, some guy died some time after exposed to smoke, he actually drowned while sleeping. Fluid in the lungs ended up being the cause.
I'm not sure, but as Rolex said go see a doctor. Better today than tomorrow.

Great job Alpine! That could have gotten really bad.

Go to the doc and get checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Yes Alpine, please go see a doc. I have great respect for the EMT's, my own little brother is one, but they don't have the equipment on hand that a doctors office will. They have no way of knowing what the extent of the damage to your respiratory system was.

Also, thanks for putting on pants for the whole thing as well. :D

Get checked out! I don't need to lose any more friends in law enforcement.

Good save, not everyone would have done that!

Worst part, I've had problems with this lady for the past year or so, always making noise, her kids running around all night, throwing stuff around the apartment. Even the manager was like, Wow...... didnt think you would actually help THEM. Lol.

I'm feeling much better today after resting. All I'm feeling now is a little soreness in my throat. Nothing a couple frozen margarita's wont fix.

Back