good motor for SCT racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tank45

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello all,
So we have a local track here and they are starting to run SCT races in April. Nothing ROAR specific just local with the only rule that I know of being the battery (2S) Most everyone is running TLR or Tekno So I chose what seems to be the underdog and decided to run an AE SC10 PRO4.

Before we start with the opinions let me tell a bit about myself. I am 44, retired military, am a IT network/software engineer and have an extensive electronics background. I raced real cars (mostly amateur drag racing at the local track) and am a big gear head. so I'd like to consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined

I am also not too new to the hobby, just getting back into it after many MANY years. My first RC cars were an original RC10 Gold chassis buggy that I built when I was 12 and multiple Tamaya vehicles (blackfoot hornet etc) about 10 years ago i had a few nitro T-maxxes as well.

I say this because I want to gear the opinions based on the fact that I am not a newb when it comes to these things LOL. However, I haven't ever really raced in actual events ( I am focusing on making it around the track at the moment)

With all that introduction out of the way, I am more than likely going to replace the Reedy esc and 3300KV motor that comes in the pro4. It is great, and punchy but just not enough adjustability for me. I also have a new Castle Copperhead 10 esc lying around so I'd like to put that to good use and put the reedy combo in one of my modified mini e Revos. So what are some good motors that other racers are using? looking at 13.5t but open to all suggestions

Thanks

I have a Traxxas slash and rustler. I'm mainly a on-road and some off-road basher. I do want to get into racing. I was thinking about racing my slash but my local track/hobby shop doesn't do short course anymore. What I'm saying is that they still do it there but no one races it. My uncle used to race but he slowly got out of it. He has a TLR TEN-SCTE 3.0. For ESC and motors hobbywing has their XR10 with justock combo. Or you could order the motor by its self. They have 13.5 and 17.5. The hobbywing ones are like the starter ones. There are better systems and motors. I been wanting to get a 2wd buggy kit. I had been looking at the TLR 22 5.0 and the Associated B6.3. If I do get one I would put in one of the hobbywing systems just to start out in. Hobbywing XR10 Justock 13.5 Hobbywing XR10 Justock 17.5

Id use the 3300kv thats a good motor to run in that 4x4.. just get another esc if you want more adjustability. a 540 motor on a sct 4x4 will not holdup..

does anyone have exp with the Trinity Revtec or the Reedy S+
https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-splus-competition-spec-brushless-motor-13.5t-asc27403/p723879
https://www.amainhobbies.com/trinit...pec-brushless-motor-13.5t-trirev1101t/p897641
I have a Traxxas slash and rustler. I'm mainly a on-road and some off-road basher. I do want to get into racing. I was thinking about racing my slash but my local track/hobby shop doesn't do short course anymore. What I'm saying is that they still do it there but no one races it. My uncle used to race but he slowly got out of it. He has a TLR TEN-SCTE 3.0. For ESC and motors hobbywing has their XR10 with justock combo. Or you could order the motor by its self. They have 13.5 and 17.5. The hobbywing ones are like the starter ones. There are better systems and motors. I been wanting to get a 2wd buggy kit. I had been looking at the TLR 22 5.0 and the Associated B6.3. If I do get one I would put in one of the hobbywing systems just to start out in. Hobbywing XR10 Justock 13.5 Hobbywing XR10 Justock 17.5
SCT seems to be making a comeback in my area its that or 1/8 scale buggies that are most popular. A buddy of mine runs Hobbywing stuff its def on my list. I think the ESC that is in the truck now is a rebranded Hobbywing
Id use the 3300kv thats a good motor to run in that 4x4.. just get another esc if you want more adjustability. a 540 motor on a sct 4x4 will not holdup..
thought that motor was a 540 can. I could use the Copperhead in un-sensored mode but it seems like a waste to run that ESC with the stocker

All my sc have the same setup. Tekin rx8 gen 3 with 4300kv pro hd’s using a protek 6100 2s LiHv 120c.

Extremely quick with insane accel. No heat issues. Got to be handy with the brakes if ya know what I mean. I run mine with the truggies and 1/8 scale buggies at my local tracks.

And for shits and giggles I once seen a kid running a stampede he turned into a sc truck. Had a 6 turn it in. Thing was insane. No one could keep up with him, 1/8 scale buggies, truggies, didn’t matter. Everyone had to over drive to keep up and you know how that ends. Damn thing handled like it was on rails and that boy had some lightning reflexes. I swear on a couple corners he flipped that steering almost a dozen times in a under 2 seconds. Never seen nothing like it.

So end of the day don’t matter if you running a high end name brand system or no name Amazon one. It’s in the setup and drivers skills.

I’ve heard good things from friends with the pro4’s for the handling. I think tekno has the best sc imo. But I completely understand wanting something different. I’m the only one I know that runs yokomos. And a couple people I’ve given them to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 79
whatever do what you want you will find out by wasting your money.

whatever do what you want you will find out by wasting your money.
Wow man relax, I was asking for opinions, yours was appreciated -- So no need to get hostile bud
All my sc have the same setup. Tekin rx8 gen 3 with 4300kv pro hd’s using a protek 6100 2s LiHv 120c.

Extremely quick with insane accel. No heat issues. Got to be handy with the brakes if ya know what I mean. I run mine with the truggies and 1/8 scale buggies at my local tracks.

And for shits and giggles I once seen a kid running a stampede he turned into a sc truck. Had a 6 turn it in. Thing was insane. No one could keep up with him, 1/8 scale buggies, truggies, didn’t matter. Everyone had to over drive to keep up and you know how that ends. Damn thing handled like it was on rails and that boy had some lightning reflexes. I swear on a couple corners he flipped that steering almost a dozen times in a under 2 seconds. Never seen nothing like it.

So end of the day don’t matter if you running a high end name brand system or no name Amazon one. It’s in the setup and drivers skills.

I’ve heard good things from friends with the pro4’s for the handling. I think tekno has the best sc imo. But I completely understand wanting something different. I’m the only one I know that runs yokomos. And a couple people I’ve given them to.
yea working on the "driver" mod as we speak LoL. I 'll check those recommendations out thank you.

Last edited:
Wow man relax, I was asking for opinions, yours was appreciated -- So no need to get hostile bud

yea working on the "driver" mod as we speak LoL. I 'll check those recommendations out thank you.

I’d say for start something between 10.5 and 13.5. That will be drivable. You start getting low turn it’s all finger control.

If you do 13.5 blinky the hw easy run is great. Don’t need a expensive one for that.

I’d say for start something between 10.5 and 13.5. That will be drivable. You start getting low turn it’s all finger control.

If you do 13.5 blinky the hw easy run is great. Don’t need a expensive one for that.
cool I will check out the HW line. Do you think a sensored HW motor would work with the Castle Copperhead I have lying around?

Back