Good beginners car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g0nz0

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello,

I want to get my first Nitro buggy (new or second hand) and wondered what you guys recommend as it has been a few years and I've only used electric cars. I wondered if when buying it comes with everything you need to get going?

Kind regards

Andy

Usually you have to supply your own batteries, fuel, fuel bottle, glow plug igniter, tools etc. Some new RTR combo kits come with everything but fuel.

Buying used can be a great deal. The key is to find a car that was rarely used. You'll know one when you see it. The unwanted gift that was ran once or twice then put on the shelf.
More often then not, those come complete with everything included, practically brand new at a reduced price. I see them on ebay all the time. I'm sure they can be found on craigslist too.

Problem with the unwanted gift that's been sitting is that then engine probably wasn't stored properly and you run the risk of an improper break in
I'd recommend the Traxxas Nitro Rustler. New they are about $315 and include with everything minus fuel, even a DVD showing break in

Red cat racing buggy its nitro... I have one and have experience... Its only 150 and starter kit is 20 dollars search it on amazon ;)

If you have to have a buggy, go with the Losi 8ight is a good buggy for the price. I would recommend avoiding used and lower-priced brands like Exceed and Redcat Racing. The used because you really don't know what you're getting into. Exceed and Redcat I recommend against because they use lower quality materials and don't really have much in the way of aftermarket support.

The first nitro RC I bought years ago was a Ofna Ultra buggy RTR kit. I really liked it and it took ALOT of hard abuse, it came with everything but fuel and batteries I believe. If I was to buy another buggy I believe I would look at a Ofna Ultra or Hyper (I really don't know the difference in the two, they look alike and are both Ofna) or the Losi 8ight.