Good alkaline battery powered driver?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenburg

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
I want to get a AA or 9 volt (any household battery type) powered screwdriver or pistol grip that can accept bits the way a keyless chuck does. I read that old thread about cordless drivers, and they would all be too powerful for this. I like to crack bolts loose, and spin them out with something, then later spin them in and final torque by hand. Any ideas? Black and decker quality is fine.

I've had a moded skill twist since the 1970's that I put a li-ion cell in 20 years ago and moded the charging rack to accept my home base charger and maybe 1 once a year I charge it full .it sits in its place for months gets knocked off shelf by my gravity checker , doesn't have a clutch just a cw/ccw push button had 2 sub c NiCad's in it(Long dead) found another n a estate sale last month for a whole dollar..lol..also picked up a m12 screw gun with clutch another $5

Attachments

• drivers.jpg
    drivers.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 85
If your going to go cheap, the B&D lithium are decent. I know you said you wanted NiMH, but I don't know of any that you use "cells" in, just packs, or built in battery. So if your going built-in, get lithium. Doesn't have memory and stays at more constant power until it's time to charge.

Checked B&D's site, they have a 4 cell AA driver:
https://www.blackanddecker.com/prod...ls/screwdrivers/6v-alkaline-screwdriver/ad600

Could likely use some decent NiMH AA's in that.

My first one was like this lithium one of theirs:
https://www.blackanddecker.com/prod...screwdriver-with-compactfit-technology/li3100

Did fine for working on RC's. Not a ton of torque, eventually it died internally and would just slip/spin the motor but out the output all the time.

I've had the milwaukee M12 driver with a clutch for quite a few years and would never want to buy anything else. If/when my 12V Max dremel dies, I'll get the milwaukee M12 version of that, then I don't have to keep 2 kinds of batteries/chargers around.

I found this the other day and am kinda curious about it...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085WYFLF...abc_HAJ1VJ15EQ1YGE8CHGHY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Based on the reviews, it is hard to say if it is any good. But I have Vessel screwdrivers and can say they are very high quality tools. There are a few vids on this on YT that show it driving screws in with ease. So the reviews seem to be a bit misleading.

But I don't really need one since I have my Milwaukee M12 hex driver. It has a great clutch, variable speed, and can be a delicate driver to a breaker of screws if I want it to be.

I don't think I have seen anything that takes regular alkaline batteries. But if you do find something, I would recommend you use Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries in it. They are as good or better than regular alkalines.

I've had the milwaukee M12 driver with a clutch for quite a few years and would never want to buy anything else. If/when my 12V Max dremel dies, I'll get the milwaukee M12 version of that, then I don't have to keep 2 kinds of batteries/chargers around.
unnamed.jpg

Back