going through glowplugs like a fat kid eating cake

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bshobes

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I dont know whats going on but i bought a new plug today ...put it in my tmaxx 3.3 ....drove around kind of rough about 2 tanks and the glowplug is out.... :\...... is that normal or what?

Last edited:
I find it odd that a lot of people have trouble with glow plugs. In my 5 years of experience, I've only burnt one or two out, and it was in a break in! I am not really up to speed on what exactly causes glow plugs to foul any way, because I've never had problems with it.

i wish i had your luck .... i have to drive about 30 mins to the hobby shop ... and spend $7 each on the plugs .... its getting a little expensive lol

Most likely you are running lean - fatten up your mixtures a little - do a pinch test and retune the high speed.

One very cool, wet night, a mate and I fed several plugs though our cars . . . figured out later it was the cool air making the cars run lean . . .

We are also using 25% nitro, so went from a hot plug to a medium plug in cool weather - problem is sorted - we are no longer consuming plugs, they last for ages now.

"going through glowplugs like a fat kid eating cake"....... that is kind of funny! Like the others say, running lean will burn out plugs. You can get 10 O'Donnells medium plugs on Ebay for about $25. And you need to go edit your first post and remove the word that looks like cussing because you will get put off here for doing that.

Its also possible you have an air leak somewhere causing the lean mixture. Make sure your tank lid is sealing good and also the exhaust boot has no gashes in it. If those are sealed good then check your engine for signs of leaks around head backplate and carb neck. Any leaks will cause you to run lean and not be able to hold a good tune.

---------- Post added at 8:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:47 AM ----------

I was eating up plugs with a 2.5R and found it was due to my revo tank seal leaking and causing it to stay lean even though it didnt show signs of being lean.

sure sign of running lean/air leaks, is when you start to burn up plugs! +1 on what zdragon said ! check everything for leaks !

Are they dead from damage or dea from being too lean?

If dead from too lean, time to retune, both the HSN & LSN.
Sounds like you may be close so give both needles a 1/2 richer turn & tune from there.

If dead from damage then it's time to pull it apart & find out what failed.

Last edited: