God I love craigslist.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Just picked up a used HPI RS4 3 SS for $100 off craigslist: The RTR kit and original box, rechargeable glow starter, a quart of fuel, and misc. parts & pieces still NIP. Don't think the kid ever cleaned it but mechanically it appears to be in good shape and still good pinch on the 12R SS engine.

A little spit & polish and some elbow grease and I've got Xmas covered for my 15yr old step-son who's coming up to visit for the holidays.

I'll post some pics once she's all cleaned up. Right now it would give Rolex the heebie-jeebies.

I love craigslist.

Before pics or it didn't happen. lol, congratulations on the score man. I think there will be a lot more of these great finds in the coming weeks. I search craigslist at least 2-3 times a day for nitro/electrics, it's insane what people are letting them go for. There are still a few idiots (goes 80+mph and only had 2 tanks through it) kind of stuff, but we're not fallin' for that anyway.

I'm wrist deep in cleaning it now. And I mean wrist deep. Just took a break because I missed seeing my fingernails. I'll see about grabbing some quick snapshots so you can see what I'm saying.

I swear, it looks like it has never been cleaned under the body. Ever. We're talking a thick coating of black oily gunk from the head gasket down and all over the bottom of the chassis. Amazingly, the piston, sleeve, and head are all free of pits or grooves and the pinch is still tight. The glow plugs are all dead and I don't have deep plugs to try firing it up, LHS tomorrow for those.

Here's the pics from the ad though:

View attachment 6893

View attachment 6894

I've been trolling craigslist the past few days myself. This is the first one I ran across that was a really nice steal though. Even as just a roller it's still a good bargain.

Last edited:
Nice score. Our Craigslist for KC isn't big on R/Cs. There have been a few on there, but most I've seen have been either "I want every last dime out of my rig" or the "been beat to hell and back" rigs.

those look like the stock wheels and tires that came with the car, can't have alot of time on it.

good score!

You got me to look at my local Craig's list for the first time last night. I found several Nitros for sale, claiming that they were selling because the track had closed. One of the sellers was also selling a $550 Viking cue stick for $100, so I called immediately. Sold. :\

For the last few years I've been using a Cuetec Maximizer, graphite, but I miss the look and feel of real wood.
Well, I ended up spending several hours on the internet (because YOU made me check out Craigslist) and I put in a $100 bid on a Viking M14 on Fee Bay. Wish me luck.

nice find man....i also love craigslist!!

You got me to look at my local Craig's list for the first time last night. I found several Nitros for sale, claiming that they were selling because the track had closed. One of the sellers was also selling a $550 Viking cue stick for $100, so I called immediately. Sold. :\

For the last few years I've been using a Cuetec Maximizer, graphite, but I miss the look and feel of real wood.
Well, I ended up spending several hours on the internet (because YOU made me check out Craigslist) and I put in a $100 bid on a Viking M14 on Fee Bay. Wish me luck.

Aha! A fellow pool player too. What's your game? I don't care what everyone else says Rolex, you're okay in my book :) Nice score on the Viking.

I have a Dan Jaynes custom (not from his Joss or Joss West line) with a 10mm tip and snooker-tapered shaft that I love (awesome cue control) and a Southwest cocobola that's a bit heavy (21oz) but really good snap that I use for just playing around. Am still in the process of converting the external garage to the pool room, my 8ft table is still in parts waiting for dudes to come by and level & re-felt.

I in no way apologize for your craigslist excursion.

those look like the stock wheels and tires that came with the car, can't have alot of time on it.

good score!

Well, almost. The tires are pretty worn on the outside edges. Don't think anything was done with this other than taken of the box and run. Camber needed adjustment and had to replace the front final drive gear which was completely shot. Metal shavings all over inside. There was ZERO grease or fluid in the diffs. Threw in 20k in the front, 10k in the rear.

Even with the issues it has, it's still not too shabby for $100. Just needs some TLC and tweaking and then I can have it ready for xmas for my 15yr old step-son.

Aha! A fellow pool player too. What's your game?

Love 9 ball. I've found a few guys that also take it seriously.
Some years ago I had a 20 oz. Mali with an 11mm shaft. Lost it in a fire.
I've been wanting a Viking cue for years, just couldn't justify the price. Hopefully I'll pull this one off.

I in no way apologize for your craigslist excursion.
No apology needed. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have started looking for another cue stick. Thanks!:)

Last edited:
damn 9 ball players, i always enjoy a nice game of 8 ball every now and than. i got a no name brand stick I've been using for years. it always beats there in home bent sticks they use at the local pool hall

So, ANYWAYS... good score on the list. i always check my local CL for good deals but in NY there really arent any, so i always try to get my stuff from either here, or at my LHS

I had heard of Craigslist, but never checked it out until last night. I'll be looking there more often, now. It's hard to believe, but if the cue stick hadn't sold, I could have had it with just a 20 minute drive. No tax, no shipping, and no waiting around for UPS.

For the last few years I've been using a Cuetec Maximizer, graphite, but I miss the look and feel of real wood.Well, I ended up spending several hours on the internet (because YOU made me check out Craigslist) and I put in a $100 bid on a Viking M14 on Fee Bay. Wish me luck.

too easy

I had heard of Craigslist, but never checked it out until last night. I'll be looking there more often, now. It's hard to believe, but if the cue stick hadn't sold, I could have had it with just a 20 minute drive. No tax, no shipping, and no waiting around for UPS.

You *can* teach an old dog new tricks :)

Sometimes I troll craigslist just to see what people are selling. Some very interesting and odd stuff sometimes. Also a good way to unload crap you have lying around taking up space. Just have to get used to no-shows and some phone tag.. it's just how it goes.

Well, almost. The tires are pretty worn on the outside edges. Don't think anything was done with this other than taken of the box and run. Camber needed adjustment and had to replace the front final drive gear which was completely shot. Metal shavings all over inside. There was ZERO grease or fluid in the diffs. Threw in 20k in the front, 10k in the rear.

Even with the issues it has, it's still not too shabby for $100. Just needs some TLC and tweaking and then I can have it ready for xmas for my 15yr old step-son.

with the turnbucles out of adjustment it doesn't take very long at all to wear the tires on these cars(less than a quart depending on how bad off they are). and alot of people will talk down the .12r ss but truth is they were designed and manufacted by novirosi, everybody at the club track was very surprised to see me running with the higher end mills back when i still had mine. i put around 3 gallons +/- on it when i sold it on another rs4 i had and as far as i know its still ticking just fine, i have no idea how much fuel he has run through it? i will say they are alittle tricky to tune though and they run a weird piston/sleeve which will fool you into thinking its low on compression and in need of a rebuild but they dont its the way they are made.;)

was their a spring in the front diff between the spider gears? thats how these diffs are tuned normally, heavier spring is like heavier oil.

Last edited:
with the turnbucles out of adjustment it doesn't take very long at all to wear the tires on these cars(less than a quart depending on how bad off they are). and alot of people will talk down the .12r ss but truth is they were designed and manufacted by novirosi, everybody at the club track was very surprised to see me running with the higher end mills back when i still had mine. i put around 3 gallons +/- on it when i sold it on another rs4 i had and as far as i know its still ticking just fine, i have no idea how much fuel he has run through it? i will say they are alittle tricky to tune though and they run a weird piston/sleeve which will fool you into thinking its low on compression and in need of a rebuild but they dont its the way they are made.;)

That's good info to know. The edges aren't bald, just worn. Have the feeling it saw maybe a gallon total through it based on what I'm seeing and what I was told.

was their a spring in the front diff between the spider gears? thats how these diffs are tuned normally, heavier spring is like heavier oil.

I grabbed the manual online and expected a spring in the front spider as well but it was in the rear for some reason. And no evidence that the prior owner switched it. I left it in the rear and added some 10k fluid with 20k in the front. Should I remove the spring and/or oil or move the spring to the front with/without oil?

I grabbed the manual online and expected a spring in the front spider as well but it was in the rear for some reason. And no evidence that the prior owner switched it. I left it in the rear and added some 10k fluid with 20k in the front. Should I remove the spring and/or oil or move the spring to the front with/without oil?

acording to my paperback manual which I'm looking at right now for the rs4 3ss the spring is in the front diff between the spiders. i also have a rs4 3rtr manual that has no mention of a spring in either diff. both came with the cars NIB.

i have tuned the front diff on 3 of my rs4s' with really stiff springs for club racing and just lightly very coat the gears with some "lucas oil" red and tacky grease.

i guess if you wanted to drift the spring in the rear diff would help?