Glow Plug question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkyd Basher

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Is there any other reason than hot and lean for a distorted glow plug filiment? After a few minutes of running i can pull the glow plug out and the element or filiment in the glow plug is off to the side of the hole instead of in the center. But i dont really think its running hot but maybe. Thanks

It doesn't have to be running hot, just lean. Is it a new engine? Maybe there's a bearing going bad? Hole in the filter neck?

There maybe a hole in the filter neck. How would that or a bearing do that to the glow plug? And no it is not a new engine but dont think it is real old.

A distorted element? What difference does it make? It either burns or it don't. I have never looked for distortion. Does a distorted element effect performance? I have never seen a discussion on this subject. I just always assumed that if it glows it is functioning properly. It sounds like a logical concern. When I was drag racing my Harley Sportster I used to point the gap of the spark plug towards the center of the combustion chamber of the head so that the spark would light up the gas and the flame would travel evenly through the chamber. But with a nitro the plug location is right in the middle of the chamber so as long as it lights up, it should burn the gas evenly so what difference does it make? Sorry if I am dragging this out. I'm just getting home from a 12hr midnight shift and I guess I'm trying to put way too much thought into this..............................

i am just not sure that it will work consistantly, it must have some effect cause the truck will run fine until it happens, then starts to like stutter or bog unless u ease into the throttle gradually.

If the coil is shoved up into the plug or distorted it will affect performance.
The main concern is the distorted element being an indication that something's wrong.
In some cases a plug will glow but you'll never get the engine to run over an idle. They need that platinum coating on there and if it's gone the plug will glow but not work properly.

How much fuel has been through the engine? Rod bushings worn out?

well i can't say for sure cause it was bought in a package deal used. But i took it apart and checked it all out and sealed it when i put it in. But when i had it apart it was very clean inside. Didnt look like it had hardly ever been ran.Starts up great and idles, then after about 1 tank of fuel it starts to do it and i check the glow plug it is that way. Twice with new plugs.