Getting a Used Revo...1st steps?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for a basher. . .yeah thats too long, but if you are racing that extra line could give you an extra half a lap or so, maybe, at least thats the theory behind it, at least what i have heard

well the guy did admit he had set it up for racing..so i think that was the idea...

now i gotta figure out your idea of locking the reverse module arm in place...i never tested to see if it would go in reverse..but i'm thinking it will...

if the arm is still there and the and the pin is still in place, there is a good chance the reverse is still there, now one sure fire way to see if it is stil lthere is to either A. pull the pin and see if it goes backwards when you hit the throttle, or B. this one will take longer but still, take the tranny apart and see if the reverse gears are still there

Last edited:
i might test it this weekend ot see if it goes into reverse..after i make up the lockout arm you suggested...i think this guy was lazy and never took it apart...

can you bu ythe opti drive module seperately? i don't know..maybe something i want to play with down the road...

I think you can get them on ebay for about 5 bucks.. You don't need it you will just have to be careful...

The easiest thing for you to do is go to your local hobby shop and get a forward only gear in either wide ratio,std ratio or close ratio and install it...Youll be eliminating the thinner drive grear for a beefier one and making your headaches go away at the same time.If the guy you bought it from was setting it up to race;-the reverse should of been the first thing to go and a wide ratio FOC gearset installed..The gearset costs $8 depending on choice and it takes an hour or two to install depending on mechanical ability......Good Luck with the truck..

Last edited:
but for a bashing rig reverse is a nice thing to have

that was what i was thinking....i'm not a racer - no tracks near me...but i'm one of those guys that tries to get his rigs into hairy situations and jumps and gullies and stuff :) so having reverse would be nice...my father in law has a Associated MGT8.0 and it has reverse and he uses it all the time and have helped him not to have to go over and pull the moster out a bunch of times...the Revo is much more manuverable and all..but i can see it having a benefit down the road...i'd have to get the opti-drvie module - a micro servo - and an new transmitter - the guy i bought the truck from had a nice Futaba 2PM radio he sent with it..2 channel only...so not a huge investment but some to make it reverse capable again...sound like all i need?

Last edited:
that sounds to be about it, most importantly the 3 channel radio and reciever

well...re-did my fuel system today - added a primer and a filter...and trimmed the line down to what worked...new glo plug, new ignitor wire....removed the rear wing mount...and put on the new wheels and tires i bought...well...the wheels and tires were WAY bigger than the racing pro-lines that were on there! didn't steer too well with only one servo and the monster tires...it started well...and ran ok..but it stalled a time or 2 when under light load...think the idle was too low...and it is runnng too rich...i'll adjust more and play on sunday....but i did what you suggested Rob but with my own spin...i had a spare turnbuckle from another car..put it on the ball for the reverse and wedged it in the slot for the radio box....it is holding the reverse shaft in real tight and i'm not worried about accidental reverse engagement now...was a good idea man!

so far it's been a fun truck to work on....

well...re-did my fuel system today - added a primer and a filter...and trimmed the line down to what worked...new glo plug, new ignitor wire....removed the rear wing mount...and put on the new wheels and tires i bought...well...the wheels and tires were WAY bigger than the racing pro-lines that were on there! didn't steer too well with only one servo and the monster tires...it started well...and ran ok..but it stalled a time or 2 when under light load...think the idle was too low...and it is runnng too rich...i'll adjust more and play on sunday....but i did what you suggested Rob but with my own spin...i had a spare turnbuckle from another car..put it on the ball for the reverse and wedged it in the slot for the radio box....it is holding the reverse shaft in real tight and i'm not worried about accidental reverse engagement now...was a good idea man!

so far it's been a fun truck to work on....

I"m glad that my idea worked for you even though u put ur own twist on it, but i got you on the right track to do it. . .lol. . .glad ur rig is running for ya and i'm glad ur enjoying working on it, i do to a point but when i have to take my OWB off EVERY FREAKING DAY it gets a little repetitive

yeah your idea was a great one..i didn't have the micro servo for the reverse system to screw something to..so i just thought about what would work..and it's not dragging on the brakes as my 1st zip-zip try resulted in! we'll see how it all goes...gonna run it a bunch tomorrow - but today i have to break in a new engine for my buggy....and get that running.....too many hobbies..too many cars...not enough time... :(

Last edited:
ok..see if someone can answer this..took out my Revo for it's 1st real extended run...and had a good time....fast and fun! BUT...it did not seem to want to start and run after a long full tank hard run...it would stall and not stay lit...i let it cool off and then re-started it..had to turn up the idle and lean it out a bit to kepe it going..ran it again and once again..once it stopped..it was impossible to start and get running evenly again until it cooled...thoughts? low speed needle maybe? it seems to run pretty cool...200 degree's or so...

You may be running it a little too rich and have gotten some fouling of the glowplug from oil deposits or have a fuel restriction somewhere.How long did it run on its first full tank?..My 3.3 has been running its best with the LSN at around 1 3/4 turns out , my hsn around 3 1/2 turns out give or take for the days temps/humidity with OS8 glowplug,running Trinity monsterbrew 20%...Good Luck

Last edited:
You may be running it a little too rich and have gotten some fouling of the glowplug from oil deposits or have a fuel restriction somewhere.How long did it run on its first full tank?..My 3.3 has been running its best with the LSN at around 1 3/4 turns out , my hsn around 3 1/2 turns out give or take for the days temps/humidity with OS8 glowplug,running Trinity monsterbrew 20%...Good Luck

Yeah, I agree. Take a look at your plug and try returning to factory needles and lean a hair from there.

Good tip on the ignitor never knew I could use one on my easy start Learn suthin new everyday lol

i'm using O'donnell 20% - it was a tad hot an humid..except for a rollover stalling it ran all the way through one full tank with no issues..then re-filling it it was hard to start and would not run right..plug is new but i didn't look at it..i might have to check the LSN to see how it is set...thanks for the ideas!

maybe i'm going against the grain here but i'm putting my Revo back to stock in the matter of reverse and the 2nd steering servo....lots of ebay places had the parts for cheap..so i'm gonna do it all..for a fun basher i think reverse will be cool...and for the big a$$ wheels and tires i bought i need a 2nd steering servo..am i now ousted from the group? ;)

Both of mine are still stock , minus rpm arms and new pipes, and when their running I'm pretty happy with them.

Back