Getting a Used Revo...1st steps?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JettaManDan

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm an old skool RC guy and i never buy used stuf..but had to Jump on an Ebay auction for what looked like a barely used Revo 3.3 for 1/2 the price of a new one..i know to go over the truck when i get it and check for obvious stuff...but do these have any weak spots i should check right away and take apart/clean/re-do anything? I've seen mention of the diff cases...anything to look at specificially? How does the start system work, well or not? if it fails can you start it any other way? I have a few 7.2v battery packs for my electric stuff so i'm set there....any other "must do" hop ups for reliabaility and bashing fun? Any thoughts would be great...

Dan

I think you are on the right track as far as the obvious stuff, tighten screws and what not but check the motor mount they are notorious on the Revo's for cracking but other than that I would just give the once over and make sure that everything is in working order and then give it a shake down cruise to make sure that it works. pretty funny I bought my first used RC a year ago and it was a Revo, It has gone through many versions since then but that just the nature of the hobby.

the first thing i would do is tear the motor down and clean and inspect and seal the carb and backplate when putting it back together.as far as the ez start i have had very few problems with the starting system. you can take the ez start off and put a pullstart on. as far as upgrades i wait until something breaks and then upgrade at that point.i would definately recomend rpm a-arms if you break the stock ones.if you really wanted to see how well it was kept and maintained tear the whole truck down to the chasis and clean and put back together that way you will find any small problems like bent screws and stuff like that. but that is what i would do hope this helps and good luck with the revo,let us know how it turns out.

I've bought two revos used. These are the only rcs I've had in 15 years...
I bought one that looked brand new and the other was drivin hard. From what I've seen they are pretty durable.
As mentioned above, check the motor mount and tear down the engine and seal it and the carb upreal well.. Other than that I haven't seen too many problems. I have rpm arms on one and they are more sturdy but I have stock arms on the more used of the two and they have cuts and notches all over the place and still seem strong.this one did have a craked motor mount. I'm thinking about removing the ez start because it just kills a battery but it will tell you when you have a bad plug which is a bonus..

I've driven mine pretty hard and havent broken anything..

I forgot to mention that the return spring on the throtle is too stiff so the servo won't open the carb slide all the way.. You will need to play with it to get it right. I streched mine out a bit then shortened back to length and it worked great..

Really depends on if ypu plan to race or just bash around as to what hop ups to do..

Do you know what model # it is???

Last edited:
i just had the issue of the carb slide not opening all the way and didnt know about the spring deal i just loosened the carb and turned it slightly and that solved the problem as well. i wish i had known about the trick with the spring. lol i guess you learn something new everyday,thankgod. lol

thanks for the tip on the return spring..i'll be sure to check that out and the other suggestions....

Yeah man, I don't know much but I'm glad to pass it on...:D

same here big jilm everything i have learned i have learned from the great folks on here and some trial and error. i am still new but i try to help as much as i can.

very cool guys...thanks....will check it over and see how it is when i get it..supposed to show up tuesday/wednesday....looking forward to messing with it...another question or 2..

has anyone installed the reverse gear set? and how do i know if i have a 5308 or a 5309 model? anyway to tell just by looking at it?

Yes the 5308 has a smaller radio box and wont have the reverse module. You can tell straigh away.

The #5308 has one steering servo and the #5309 has 2...They may have done steering mode.
I also forgot about the radio box.. Dead givaway.. Good call sam...

Last edited:
cool..thanks for the info....i'll know more tuesday when i get it....

Another thing that you may wanna do, is that you will notice that there is a blue wire connected to the glow plug on the engine. Get a glow plug ignitor and ditch the blue wire. Its notorious for shorting out. You can stick the ignitor on there and hit the ez-start and your battery in the start wand will last a lot longer and youll have a better chance of it starting. Just my .02 cents

Another thing that you may wanna do, is that you will notice that there is a blue wire connected to the glow plug on the engine. Get a glow plug ignitor and ditch the blue wire. Its notorious for shorting out. You can stick the ignitor on there and hit the ez-start and your battery in the start wand will last a lot longer and youll have a better chance of it starting. Just my .02 cents

alright good info..i have other nitro cars and therefore have glo ignitors aplenty, as well as battery packs for the starter....i was gonna try it as is and see how it was..but no problem with doing it that way....thanks for the tip!

i have never once had a problem with my blue wire shorting out, although i modified it a little bit
100_0126.jpg

100_0127.jpg

100_0128.jpg

http://sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php?cat=420

Last edited:
Revo rob, I had one of those on my rig and the engine ran hot.. Long story short, The thing fell apart, plastic inside melted and bonded to the plug. It took me about 20 minutes to get that thing pulled apart and the plug out of the head. Another 15 minutes cleaning the crap out of the plug whole.. Mine was a short version of what you have and apparently the glow plug had vibrated loose.. Maybe it was the nitro that melted the conector..It was a complete wreck... Just don't let it get too hot...

I havent had too many bad experiences with the blue wire but I think it is a poor design..

Last edited:
Revo rob, I had one of those on my rig and the engine ran hot.. Long story short, The thing fell apart, plastic inside melted and bonded to the plug. It took me about 20 minutes to get that thing pulled apart and the plug out of the head. Another 15 minutes cleaning the crap out of the plug whole.. Mine was a short version of what you have and apparently the glow plug had vibrated loose.. Maybe it was the nitro that melted the conector..It was a complete wreck... Just don't let it get too hot...

I havent had too many bad experiences with the blue wire but I think it is a poor design..

I have the longer one and it seems to be ok and as long as i keep my tune correct and not let it run too hot it should be ok, thats what they said when i called them to be aware that if it gets too hot it could melt down, but as long as you keep your tune where it needs to be it should be ok, it works ALOT better than the spring thingy on the TRX blue wire

cool idea....i think i have the stuff i'd need to insulate it....

this sucks..i got sucked back into the hobby by my father in law...i don't even have the Truck yet and i just ordered like $120 of parts from ebay..sheesh! :D

What did you order?? I didn't pay much more than that for one of my revos...;)

Back