Geeks...Win 7

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Instead of installing the new HDD and not knowing if it will copy Vista from the HD with the damaged sector, I've decided to install the 1 Tb drive as the primary and do a complete new install of Windows 7.
I want the disk or disks, not the download. 32 bit.
Office Depot is asking $209. Where could I get it on line at the best price?

Why not 64 bit?
I was gonna say ebay but it looks like alot of counterfitters out there.

If you have a 64-bit processor, get 64-bit Win7. If not, then 32-bit will be fine. The one you linked should be fine, but I would do some research on the store first. If you look at the bottom of the page, it says "Copyright © 2007 Your store name here All Rights Reserved."

That would make me a little nervous about how it was thrown together.

---------- Post added at 6:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:25 PM ----------

Get this one instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re+-+Operating+Systems-_-Microsoft-_-32116983

I trust Newegg, I buy all my stuff there. And Windows Home Premium is all you really need.

I agree with Alien on that. Windows 7 Home premium is usually all you need unless you must have the disk encryption.

What's shown in that link is SP-1 for $99. At the bottom of the page is the upgrade for $109 and the OS for $189.

I kind of thought it might be, then wondered why it's cheaper than the upgrade.
If it's the full install WITH sp-1 then I'll order it now.
Good to go?

EDIT:
By the way, you spelled peace as piece, unless it was done in your alien language.

Last edited:
Yes.

There's really no good reason as to why it's cheaper than the upgrade. One trick is that Microsoft expects that if you have something like Windows Vista, you'll be naive enough to buy the upgrade, thinking that you have to. OEM is designed for a clean install, whereas the upgrade is meant for installing on an old version, while keeping all of your files intact. In all reality, the OEM will work as an upgrade as well. Also, any time you upgrade an OS, you are better off doing a clean install anyway, as installing over an old version leaves remnants and slows your system down.

I had enough problems already, that's why I've decided to yank the original HD out and start fresh with 7. Vista was not a major step up from XP. A real waste.
Last question...I think...Should I format the back up hard drive that's also in the tower before I install the OS?
I've already backed up my files on DVDs and an external HD.

I had enough problems already, that's why I've decided to yank the original HD out and start fresh with 7. Vista was not a major step up from XP. A real waste.
Last question...I think...Should I format the back up hard drive that's also in the tower before I install the OS?
I've already backed up my files on DVDs and an external HD.

Windows ME, and Vista were the worst OSes that MS ever made. Vista was supposed to be the greatest, but it ended up being a huge system hog.

The only drive you need to format is the install drive, though it wouldn't hurt to format any others before installing, just to be sure there's nothing malicious lurking.

Don't know what anti-virus software you are running, but I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and it's made to run with Windows 7. It's not so much of a system hog as Norton is, and I've been running it for three years now with no issues.

There was a time I wouldn't install anything in a new computer till I had installed the latest version of Norton System. A few years ago I dumped it and won't ever use it again. I've been running the paid, full version of Avast, for almost 2 years and I'm totally satisfied with it.

Avast is good too, stick with what you're comfortable with, I was just offering the suggestion.

I still have about a year on my current subscription, but when it expires I'll try the MS protection. Thanks for the info.

The upgrade will also work for a clean install. It may ask for a previous Windows disk. That's what I did when installed a new system drive earlier this year.

I just finished pulling out the old HDD since Win 7 just showed up in today's mail. I'm looking forward to starting out with a brand new system.

You will like Win 7 I just upgraded a few months ago and I really think Microsoft got most of it right this time. I hate IE 9 though! It is not at all awesome!

I already have 7 in this laptop so I know what I'm getting. You'll never find a shortcut to IE anywhere in my computers. I've been using Firefox for years and I have no plans to change it.

One thing to consider when deciding on 32 vs. 64bit, is do you have any older peripherals?

It may have gotten better since I ran Windows systems a year ago. But I can be a chore to find working driver for your peripherals for a 64bit system. And sometimes they are simply not made.