GAS rc vehicles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenwing7

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
basically all I need to know is everything... well not everything but what are some brands of monster truck gas vehicles, I'm talking about the 1/6 and higher that run on an oil gas mixture. if you have personally had experience with these, what do you reccomend, what are the pros and cons vs. nitro. do these break more or less, I have been away for a LONG time and the nitro is just too much for where I am at in my life right now, school seems to be taking a lot of my free time away and with work its basically ZERO!! If possible I would like to sell my savage and buggy and go with a gas vehicle, seems like the play to work time is a lot higher on these versuses Nitro with a learning curve that isn't nearly as steep. any and all info will be greatly appreciated. one last question, are all the vehicles in larger sizes 2wd or do they make them in 4x4 too?
THANKS
nick

i don't know much about this area... but hpi has recently released a huge 2wd buggy - baja 5B

seems more than capable, and kind of neat to boot. :2cents:

Nice to see you back greenwing. In addition to the cars lised, Duratrax has the firehammer, and FG has a slew of their own cars as well.

I'm sure itsmeg, Zandor, and Rython will chime in with their 1/5 scale experiences.

that HPI Baja is the one to get...I recently got to play w/ the FG and the HPI....the FG had a ton of upgrades but all that did was make it more of a PITA to get running...once we got it going it was a blast....the HPI was just fun from the get go....I hear those monster beetles are kick ass too

greenwing7 said:
basically all I need to know is everything... well not everything but what are some brands of monster truck gas vehicles, I'm talking about the 1/6 and higher that run on an oil gas mixture. if you have personally had experience with these, what do you reccomend, what are the pros and cons vs. nitro. do these break more or less, I have been away for a LONG time and the nitro is just too much for where I am at in my life right now, school seems to be taking a lot of my free time away and with work its basically ZERO!! If possible I would like to sell my savage and buggy and go with a gas vehicle, seems like the play to work time is a lot higher on these versuses Nitro with a learning curve that isn't nearly as steep. any and all info will be greatly appreciated. one last question, are all the vehicles in larger sizes 2wd or do they make them in 4x4 too?
THANKS
nick

Well lets see I've had an FG Monster Beetle loved it with the big ass tires and currently have a Duratrax Firehammer which is basically a knock off of the FG Marder Buggy, i love them both the parts for both are interchangable and are tough as nails, there is one weak point in the hole setup which is a good weak point if you dont want to harm the engine, which is the plastic pinion and spur gear they shread to pieces if you jump and land with the throttle on, but they have a steel gear conversion you can get which eliminates that problem but transfers the load right to your engines crank which is no good with the kind of power these engines are capable of making, so IMO i would personally stock up on plastic gears just so that you have them on hand when such an incedent may occur, other then that issue these things are so much better to play with IMO then the nitro vehicles, load your fuel tank up with a good 32:1 mixture and go have fun for an hour not having to worry about the temp of your engine. Depending on how much you have to spend you can't go wrong with the cheaper priced Duratrax Firehammer just as tough as the Monster Beetle but you dont get the big ass wheels and tires, but you can get them later for the Firehammer if you decide to go that route, there is a guy on ebay that sells them for i believe $899.00 shipped, LMK if you would like to know anything else.
ITSME

Last edited:
wow I wasn't sure if anyone knew I was missing, the main reason that I want to get out of nitro is that I can NEVER find anyone to drive with. I'm kind of a social person and I really like to drive with other people but don't want the comitment of organized racing. just bashing and thanks for all the quick info!

I'm kind of a social person and I really like to drive with other people but don't want the comitment of organized racing.
Driveing a gasser around small nitros Is not going to help your social life..LOL The first time you hit an 1/8 scale...And see the carnage first hand..You will know what I mean..LOL

1/4 and 1/5 scale cars are big and heavy.

ZANDOR said:
Driveing a gasser around small nitros Is not going to help your social life..LOL The first time you hit an 1/8 scale...And see the carnage first hand..You will know what I mean..LOL

1/4 and 1/5 scale cars are big and heavy.

My philosphy is move or be moved, thats the kind of power you have and can demand with one of these bad boys :hehe:

I have to add..All you need to take with you on a bash..iS 1 GALLON of gas and your ride..After that your good to go for hours of fun.No temp gun.no ignitor.no starter box.Just go for it.

ZANDOR said:
I have to add..All you need to take with you on a bash..iS 1 GALLON of gas and your ride..After that your good to go for hours of fun.No temp gun.no ignitor.no starter box.Just go for it.

I think thats really what I'm after!!! just have to decide what would fid me the best!

Hey green, can't add nothing, but I did notice you were gone. Welcome back, don't be a stranger

i reckon u should go for the FG Marder or the Baja 5b.

I think the Marder is 1/6 scale....yes it is, and the baja is 1/5.

i personally think u should get the baja, mainly coz it's HPI and coz it looks better.

u can get one fpr £740 from www.jespares.com. check it out.

regards

R.E.M.

P.S. i'm engilsh and all of you are american so i might not get this exactly right but i think £740 is about $899. am i right?