Fun with Arduinos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgang10

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My last technical elective I chose was a course called mechatronics.
The fastest way to describe it is a robotics course. (Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering)
For our second project, we must have a system w/ 4 degrees of freedom or more. I want to use an RC car as a base and was wondering if anyone had junk laying around for our group to use.
We will use 2 DC continuous servo motors (1 per wheel) , or use 1 continuous servo for forward/reverse and 1 regular one for steering. It will simply follow a thick black line. This takes care of 2 degrees of freedom I think.
For the 3rd, a light sensor will sense when it is dark and turn on headlights.
For the 4th, a ping sensor will be used to either slow the vehicle down when it passes close a wall or as a safety feature in case something randomly blocks its path.

My theory is that it will be a model of an automated shuttle bus. We can add more degrees of freedom to simulate occupants entering/ leaving the bus or something else like that.

We have a few parts but since this is the second semester this course has been offered, we must buy key components and jump through hoops to have the University pay us back.

I would have loved to use it has an excuse to finish my gyrocopter, but the whole idea is that there is feedback response and it should be autonomous, not remote controlled.

Ideas and suggestions are more than welcomed. We can afford to pay a little bit for parts but will gladly return any components at the end of the project.

Do you have your ping sensors yet? I have 4 Devantech SRF04 untrasonic range sensors if you want them. I used them in my senior project (BSEET). They have a range from 3cm to 3m and utilize a 40kHZ frequency. I believe they still work but they have been in storage (boxed up in my garage for the past 9-10 years.
If you need them let me know. They are free and I can provide any documentation I still have.

That is awesome. Let me double check with my group today. I know we had to change the plan a little bit because I was unclear as to which definition of a degree of freedom we were supposed to go by.
We have changed our idea to an autonomous fire truck that will put out a fire. I will let you know what my group says.
Thanks!
-T

No problem, If you need them let me know and I can ship them to you. Perhaps your group can make better use of them rather than the sensors just sitting in my garage.

My group and I are pretty certain we can use at least one of them, but not quite sure how to incorporate the rest.

Ok, PM your shipping address and I will send them to you. Because I have no use for them I'll send all four. They have an effective beam pattern of about 45 degrees so you may need more than one to effectively cover one side of your project, e.g. front end.

Did you get my pm? My internet has been cutting in and out and I did not see it as a sent message in my messaging folders.
It always cuts out when I need it the most.

Back