Fuel tank positioning problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvhCo

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi guys. I recently completed my new car chassis and tried to start the engine for the first time in 4 months (was treated with WD-40 and oil last time it ran). I tried to run the engine but it wouldn't fire up. I poured some nitro (using 20% nitro fuel) down the glow plug hole, and then it started from 2nd pull, ran for 3 seconds and then bogged down. The fuel tank is pretty much leveled under the carb, and the fuel goes extremely hard, even when covering the air intake. I noticed that rising the fuel tank above the carb got rid of this problem, and the engine was able to idle well. Is this actually the reason?

Also, my engine gets insanely hot. 2-3 minutes of idling got it so hot I couldn't keep my hand on the head. When I noticed this, I quickly stopped it and sprayed WD-40 down every hole, including on the heatsink. It idles extremely low and stalls if I rev it at all (it hasn't worked for 4 months). What could be the reason? Thanks.

Having the tank below the carb can be problematic as your forcing it to push fuel up to the carb all the time.

If you pull the line off the carb and the pipe, then blow into the line from the pipe, do you get good flow? After sitting tha long, the stone in the tank could be a bit clogged up.

Yep, both the tank's pressure nipple AND the carb were clogged. The WD-40 did the job after a few minutes.
I lifted the tank way above the carb, works like a charm. Thanks :)