Fuel questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njsipes

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all,

I'm just getting into nitro RC and am getting a Savage X 4.6 just as soon as I can. Here's my questions:

1) Should I always run the same brand and percentage? Is it bad to switch?
2) Shelf life of fuel? (2 months...4 months...?)
3) I was told that "Power Master Master Basher" would be a good brand. It's 20% nitro and 14% oil.

1) You can ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. So my answer is no you can switch fuel but will have to retune.
2)I have fuel over a year old that I still use if stored properly and never ever leave the lid open or fuel in your fuel tank.
3)20% with 14% oil won't do your savage justice. I would run min 25% with min of 11% oil content. I never run less than 11% oil content. Once again 10 people 10 different answers. You will be fine will the 20% but I personally run 30% with 11% oil. I have engines with 10 plus gallons through them.

Thanks for your input BamaFan. I'll definitely look into the higher nitro content. Wow! Fuel that's a year old?! How/where do you store yours? I was just thinking out in the garage on my workbench. I guess that leads me into another question: how do you know when your fuel has gone bad? Will the engine cut off when you're running it?

I keep mine in the bottom of my closet. I don't keep it where humidity will be a factor. Yeah pretty much once your fuel has gone bad you will lack performance or it won't stay running. I would say 1 to 1 1/2 years shelf life is pretty much pushing it though. I have about 1/2 gallon left I need to burn up before it does go bad. Long as my cars hold a tune and idle and run well though I will keep running it. I'm still getting great smoke and holding solid tunes so I'm not too worried about it.

Cool, thanks again. Ill be keeping my fuel indoors foresure then.

Back