Fuel Poll - Just for Fun! Results Are In!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Read the post then, What do you think about the old fuel?

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This weekend was the annual City Wide Garage Sale in Neosho, Mo. They always tout it as Missouri's largest.

So I'm at a sale and I spot a jug of r/c fuel. I look it over noting that it's Wildcat Eliminator 20%. It has the old label design, so I ask if they know how old it is. He tells me it's 4-5 years old but it was stored indoors in a closet. It's a little more than 3/4 full. So just for fun I bought it for $2. So now the question is, will it be any good?

Another good note, after talking about the fuel I asked about the r/c it was used in. He still has it stored away,doesn't know ANYTHING about them but wants to sell it for whatever I think is reasonable. We're supposed to meet up this week and check it out.

Sounds great but hey, if it dosen't run, who cares? Its 2 dollars.You get a cool looking bottle lol.

Elder Advice

If I were you I would save that to do your cleaning with....I have built drag racing engines for over 20 years, methanol does not have a good shelf life at all. If the seal has been broken you draw in moisture, and if it hasn't the methanol will still break down the nitro and the lubricants used for the crankcase on our 2 cycle engines. This is the reason the top fuel drag race crews mix their nitro into their fuel immediatley before pouring it in the fuel tank. This is just an (Old Farts):whhooo: advice so you can do as you want, but to me it would not be in the fuel tank here...

autogyver brings up a good point, its probably way beyond the point of use, but i guess it all comes down to what you decide to do with it. worst comes to worst it was $2 so the guy remembers you when you go to look at whatever it was he ran it in.

This weekend was the annual City Wide Garage Sale in Neosho, Mo. They always tout it as Missouri's largest.

So I'm at a sale and I spot a jug of r/c fuel. I look it over noting that it's Wildcat Eliminator 20%. It has the old label design, so I ask if they know how old it is. He tells me it's 4-5 years old but it was stored indoors in a closet. It's a little more than 3/4 full. So just for fun I bought it for $2. So now the question is, will it be any good?

I would use it for cleaning the rig and I won't run it for sure,old fuels can damage the engine and they bring nothing but trouble!

Old fuel, what is the best way to dispose of it?
I have half a gallon that spent 18 mos in a garage with a temp swing between 95f and 4f I won't chance it in my rc

Old fuel, what is the best way to dispose of it?
I have half a gallon that spent 18 mos in a garage with a temp swing between 95f and 4f I won't chance it in my rc

Bonfire? Not sure really how to dispose of it short of running it or burning it.

How about trying a 50 / 50 bland with some fresh fuel for the first tank. Just to be on the safe side ?

Heck with it....I mean $2....whatever I would try it. I would run it in my cheapest engine and if it works great. If not no big deal....you are out half the price of a cup of Starbucks coffee. I would have done it.

anybody running the Blue Thunder 20% fuel,I'm running it and my truck runs good for about half a tank and then it starts loosing power. My LhS said that this fuel has been causing alot of problems the blue chemical in the fuel is breaking down and scoring the carbs and the piston and sleeves so this fuel is going to be disposed of.Just alittle fyi.

Bonfire? Not sure really how to dispose of it short of running it or burning it.

I had a small fire going, put it in a water bottle, placed it beside the fire, and ran like a BI!CH. After I jumped behind a 50gal oil drum i looked up just in time to see the water bottle melt and the nitro go all over the fire AND.................................................................................nothing, it put th fire out:(
Now this was not a SMALL fire but it was not HUGE. You could feel the heat from ABOUT 5 feet away!!

Last edited:
The Verdict is in!

Well guys, I finally got around to testing the old fuel out. First I gotta say,I'm a bit surpised by the poll results. I figured I get flamed and overwhelmingly told I wasted my $2. However,the popular vote is maybe/maybe not good luck. I think you guys were just being nice :D

So anyone wanna know what happened?

For the test I of course used my trusty Savage. I did everthing the same as any other time I run it. Check it over, test the electronics, fuel and try it out.

SURPRISE! It started right up and ran perfectly. I went to drive it but the darn AA batteries were low so the failsafe kicked in after about 30 feet. I shut it down, it never just died for any reason. I switched out the batteries and then she fires right back up.
I ran through the whole tank with no running issues whatsoever. The highest temp was near 280. Looks like I have some fuel to burn. :hehe:

BTW, I am in no way jerking anyones chain. This is the honest truth on the fuel and I do have it on video thanks to some help from my son. But I'm really a bit camera shy(I hate being on any camera) so don't think I'll post it.

Disclaimer: Not all old fuels will be good. Your results may vary, try at your own risk!

Well looks like it was $2 well spent
and hey even if it didnt run u could always use it for cleaning :)

good score man
found anything out about that rig yet??
Bet ur son would love to run it instead of holding the camera :hehe:

didnt u say that u were going the check out the rig that the dude has that u got the fuel from??