Fuel leak in choke button

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czukoman20

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey I'm a noob to the nitro rc world .. but i sure do have the common sense to realize that my fuel is supposed to stay in the actual car itself.

Here is my deal. I tried calling the manufacturer of the car to see what the deal is .. but i have to w8 till monday.. so i was wondering if you guys would like to give me some help .

My nitro rc car is equipped with a choke button on top of the gas tank. It has a spring with a seal for leak proofness, but when i start my engine up.. the gas is bubbling inside the tank, and it leaks out of the choke button.. Now either the choke button is bad.. or i have a greater issue that deals with a bad seal somewhere which is creating this bubbly effect on the gas.
I would like some advice as to what the problem might be , and if the gas is supposed to be flyin all over the place inside the tank.

Thanks.

Do you have the exhaust tube going to the fuel outlet? That would creat excess pressure in the tank and exhaust would bubble up. And the exhaust inlet going to the carb? All that pressure might be just pushing past your choke button.

Lose that tank. I'm sure it's not the main problem right now, but all those primers WILL leak, or cause an air leak.
Other than that, double check your fuel and pressure lines.

How does the choke button work? I just plug the exhaust.

ok i will get u guys some pictures to go with my issue.. its hard for me to explain due to my vocabulary in the field be really really rough

It's not a choke, it's a primer pump. Even the TMaxx used to come with one. If you want to have a total breakdown, try tuning the engine without knowing that you have an air leak because of that stupid pump.

A photo would let us know if your fuel lines are right.

Well I do like to get frustrated and p***ed off. So it just pushes down on the fuel? Yeah post a pic.

If i'm not mistaken a primer pushes the fuel to the engine.

It does the same thing that plugging the stinger does--creates pressure in the tank which pushes fuel to the engine.

Ok here is how my choke button looks

All the lines are going to the correct place..

ok i will get u guys some pictures to go with my issue.. its hard for me to explain due to my vocabulary in the field be really really rough

I know for me the vocabulary was tough starting out also. Check out the RC terms link at the bottom of the page(under R/C resources) for some good info.

Yea thanks.. Just in case anyone didn't notice.. i posted a picture 2 posts up

I think like rolex said you should get a new fuel tank without the primer button, and then go from there. When I need to prime my engine I just plug the stinger for a couple of seconds while starting it. Without the primer button thats one less place for an airleak.

If you're not able to source a primerless tank to fit your model, you can pull straight up on the primer till it "pops" out of the bottom "pickup" area (gently yet firmly), then CAREFULLY break the primer rod as close to the tank as you can with two pairs of pliers. Then flip the tank over (hopefully you drained it before this step) and jiggle the tank until the piece falls out.

As for the resulting hole, an o-ring that is alcohol tolerant (there should be one left over from the primer-ectomy) and a self-tapping screw big enough to fit the hole firmly should seal it sufficiently.

My Maxx (when I had one) had a primer like that; it developed an air leak in the first few runs, so I yanked the primer and sealed it up. It ran great until I sold it (it's probably still running).

oK

Aight i shall try that if i can't do soo ..ok thanks.

Back