Fuel filter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antndrew78

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Is it ok to install a filter on the vacume line from the muffler on nitro ?

Why would you want to place it there?

I bought the trucks used and they were dirty and full of sand there are new motors going in to the trucks so I didn't want any debris or dirt that might be inside the resonator to end up in the fuel that's why I am asking

I bought the trucks used and they were dirty and full of sand there are new motors going in to the trucks so I didn't want any debris or dirt that might be inside the resonator to end up in the fuel that's why I am asking

You might can ,just as long as it don't restrict your pressure flow to the tank!
I burned one of my 8.0 engines do to lost pressure flow when my muffler came off!

For your own knowledge, that is actually a pressure line that comes off the muffler and to the tank. There is no good reason as to why there would be debris coming out of your muffler and into that line. For that matter, no reason why the is debris coming out of your muffler at all. The only thing that should be coming out of the muffler is some unburned fuel (that is what your stream of smoke is). Rather than putting a filter in line, I would be looking for the reason there is contamination in the system.

Also, there is an actual pulse that is created in the muffler. There is a whole science behind it. That is how a muffler is "tuned" for high, mid or low rpm gains. By placing a filter in-line, it is possible and IMO likely that the filter would interfere with that pulsation. While I am 100% sure if the tune in the muffler, I am not sure that it travels all the way thru the fuel pressure line. Its Def something to consider.

Id have to agree with caretaker & Mike!

If any sand or debris gets in the muffler ,more than likely ,it would just stay glued in there
with the spent fuel! I don't see any point to add the filter to the pressure tube ,otherwise
everyone would be doing it!...:cool:

Thanks everyone for the information there is a lot to consider I think I will stick to just the fuel line filter if there is any info that anyone can provide on the fuel filters that would be great also I have seen some on eBay for as cheap as 1.99 not sure if those are any good and where would be the best place to install it thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142335126691
This is the link to the one I was looking at

I have never ordered outside the US and have NO idea how the import fees/taxes work but that is my next concern for that part. Also, shipping times from China can be crazy as I have seen from other members of this forum.

https://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?part_id=18799;browser=MCrOITzNhAaePEeWgDLFg

Du-bro is a well known company. This does list a micron rating but I believe there is a decimal point missing here. At any rate, I believe they can be contacted.
Keep in mind that if you go too small, it will just block up your line and no fuel will flow or it will clog constantly while trying to filter things that simply are too small or unlikely to damage the motor. I wish I had more answers than questions here but these filters have never caused me any issues.

Just don't get one of the filters that has a bulb pump as part of it. They tend to leak/suck air.

I don't see any harm in putting one in the pressure line. The "tuning" of a pipe is relating to the back pressure/pulse to the cylinder via the exhaust port, with or without the pressure line. Integy actually sells a pressure line "cooler". No idea if it does anything other than add bling, but I wouldn't see any harm in a filter there unless it was clogged. I also don't see much need for it if you have a filter in the fuel line to the engine, since that filter will catch anything that comes in via the pressure line.

If the filter did anything to change the performance with the pressure change, it should pretty much immediately become obvious. I am more concerned about how contaminants are being introduced to the system. Where is sand (or whatever contaminants) coming in that it is being blown out of the pressure line? Or blown out of the exhaust at all for that matter???!!!

Last edited:
I think maybe I was just being over cautious due to the fact that's this truck was covered and caked in sand and dirt and during disassembly there was was sand everywhere I was just afraid that's some might have fallen into the pipe and then blow and push some into the fuel that's all

Better safe than sorry in most cases! If it's just caution, it makes sense... Its just for obvious reasons that IF you had contamination in there, it was sending up red flags in my mind! Def let us know how it works out!!!

@Certified Mike is correct. Having the fuel filter on the pressure side doesn't hurt. I have one installed on mine but trapping dirt is not the primary reason. Some Pro racers use the biggest fuel filter on the pressure side to help cool the air pressure pulses before entering your fuel tank with the added bonus of trapping any dirt that may find its way into the pressure line. The pressure line has to be less than 8 inches and at least 5 inches minimum to maximize the cooling effect. Going past 8 inches on the pressure line and you end up losing pressure. There are some inline cooling elements but they don't have the mesh inside to trap dirt. I prefer using the DuBro or Ofna large 1/8 scale buggy filters. But it is definitely a concern if you are getting contaminants in the pipe or the pressure line. Sounds like you need to purge the pipe. Take some Nitro cleaner or denatured alcohol spray the inside of the pipe and using an air can or better yet an air compressor blow into the stinger first to purge the pipe. Repeat the process as much as needed then do it on the inlet side of the pipe as well. I do mines every 3 weeks on my CVEC pipe especially since it has moving internal parts and they need to be gunk free for it to work correctly.
Better safe than sorry in most cases! If it's just caution, it makes sense... Its just for obvious reasons that IF you had contamination in there, it was sending up red flags in my mind! Def let us know how it works out!!!