FTX OUTLAW BRUSHLESS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyb

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi looking for some assistance. I am going to try speed to RCGeeks tomorrow. However, I bought a brand new ready to go outlaw Ftx. Used once fantastic. Used till battery went dead. Charged battery. Tried again. Steering wheel turns but no movement back and forth.

The r.led red light is permanently on. I can’t recall if that was on first time round. Maybe it was it was daytime.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening.

There is nothing dislodging the wheels etc they car manually moves back and forth easily.

First off, what red LED light are we talking about? on the ESC or the receiver? Have your tried rebinding the receiver to the transmitter? Have you tried to see if FTX has any support number you can call? Does forward and reverse still work? What type of battery are you using? Could be a bad servo, could be a bad receiver. Need more info.

Last edited:
First off, what red LED light are we talking about? on the ESC or the receiver? Have your tried rebinding the receiver to the transmitter? Have you tried to see if FTX has any support number you can call? Does forward and reverse still work? What type of battery are you using? Could be a bad servo, could be a bad receiver. Need more in
First off, what red LED light are we talking about? on the ESC or the receiver? Have your tried rebinding the receiver to the transmitter? Have you tried to see if FTX has any support number you can call? Does forward and reverse still work? What type of battery are you using? Could be a bad servo, could be a bad receiver. Need more info.
Sorry so new to this. 1 day in fact. Does this help? Thanks for taking the time to assist.
Sorry so new to this. 1 day in fact. Does this help? Thanks for taking the time to assist.
Tried to upload a video but couldn’t. No it doesn’t go back and forth. It’s just the wheels that turn. I’ve tried re bonding but the green led light just keeps flashing and the red light is permanently on. I think that mean means it’s already binded?

Attachments

• B7ACC94C-A8D6-4D29-A822-CEF7D1CB11FB.jpeg
    B7ACC94C-A8D6-4D29-A822-CEF7D1CB11FB.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 277FF76B-DA43-4106-87B0-5D51DFAE6FB8.jpeg
    277FF76B-DA43-4106-87B0-5D51DFAE6FB8.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 97
Is that the stock transmitter and receiver in that rig? Its different from the one they show in the manual but it appears to have the same functions and LEDs so it probably doesn't matter. According to the manual the red and green lights should both be on and be solid. The lack of the green light (manual says this is the bind/battery condition light) should mean that either the transmitter is not properly bound to the receiver. The green LED can also be a transmitter battery is to low warning but its supposed to flash if thats the case. The fact that its not on at all would lead me to believe that the radio and receiver are not bound properly. If you're 100% sure you're following the binding instructions in the manual properly then you may have a bad receiver. Id check with FTX or the store you bought it from if you can't get it to work.

Really appreciating you reading up the manual online. Let me check to see if I’m trying to bind it correctly. Personally as a newbie I’m not finding the instructions particularly easy to use. But I missed that it says both lights need to be on. I’ll check again. But good to know there might be a solution.
I didn’t think it’s binding correct or I’m not doing it properly. Attached the instructions. And model. What I did was hold down the bind button and turn powder on transmitter. Then turn in receiver. The receiver led is flashing slowly. But the transmitter is just flashing green. For 5 minutes I let it just keep flashing. Switched off transmitter and receiver and the transmitter still has no green light. Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• BE2A8BA4-76E7-4A4C-B2BB-AE507DB94AC2.jpeg
    BE2A8BA4-76E7-4A4C-B2BB-AE507DB94AC2.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 998C0CBA-2202-4E3F-B202-069F8D0EA6F0.jpeg
    998C0CBA-2202-4E3F-B202-069F8D0EA6F0.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Hi looking for some assistance. I am going to try speed to RCGeeks tomorrow. However, I bought a brand new ready to go outlaw Ftx. Used once fantastic. Used till battery went dead. Charged battery. Tried again. Steering wheel turns but no movement back and forth.

The r.led red light is permanently on. I can’t recall if that was on first time round. Maybe it was it was daytime.

There is nothing dislodging the wheels etc they car manually moves back and forth easily.
If the steering works, its not a problem with the receiver and radio. The issue is most likely between the ESC and radio. Which receiver does it have? FTX uses several different ESC's, so, a quick way to tell is if it is a blue or black housing. If it is a blue housing, those ESC's are known for issues. The only thing you can do there is try and reset the end points, and, if that doesn't work, the ESC may have died. If it has a black housing, then here are 3 possible ESC's it could be, which means finding the label on it and figuring it out from there. If it says something like 10BL50 or 10BL60, it is a hobbywing rebrand. Yours doent look like the HW, but i can't really tell from the pic. If you can't figure out which one it is, post a couple pics of the ESC, and i should be able to figure it out from there. The different ESC's have different procedures for the settings.

EDIT: After looking through my box of ESC's, it looks like the one you have is the Etronix Photon. If so, they are known to be very problematic at times. Here is the manual for it: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1035303/Ftx-Carnage.html?page=6#manual The page i linked has the procedure for setting the throttle and brake end points.

Last edited:
If the steering works, its not a problem with the receiver and radio. The issue is most likely between the ESC and radio. Which receiver does it have? FTX uses several different ESC's, so, a quick way to tell is if it is a blue or black housing. If it is a blue housing, those ESC's are known for issues. The only thing you can do there is try and reset the end points, and, if that doesn't work, the ESC may have died. If it has a black housing, then here are 3 possible ESC's it could be, which means finding the label on it and figuring it out from there. If it says something like 10BL50 or 10BL60, it is a hobbywing rebrand. Yours doent look like the HW, but i can't really tell from the pic. If you can't figure out which one it is, post a couple pics of the ESC, and i should be able to figure it out from there. The different ESC's have different procedures for the settings.

EDIT: After looking through my box of ESC's, it looks like the one you have is the Etronix Photon. If so, they are known to be very problematic at times. Here is the manual for it: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1035303/Ftx-Carnage.html?page=6#manual The page i linked has the procedure for setting the throttle and brake end points.
Thank you. I have an etronix sports pulse et1061. I can’t get it to bind. Instructions which I attached in previous pic state that you but transmitter into bond mode first then turn on the receiver. Receiver flashes slowly but the transmitter g.les is just constantly flashing green. Never had it gone solid green to say it’s binded. Does this help?

Thank you. I have an etronix sports pulse et1061. I can’t get it to bind. Instructions which I attached in previous pic state that you but transmitter into bond mode first then turn on the receiver. Receiver flashes slowly but the transmitter g.les is just constantly flashing green. Never had it gone solid green to say it’s binded. Does this help?
I gave you wrong info didn’t I. So I realise now what the wax is. Etronix photon 2.1w. Blue casing.

Does the steering work though? Wil the front wheels turn left and right? If it is definitely the ETronix Photon 2.1, then the manual i linked is the right one for it.

Another thought just occurred to me. Is the battery for the car fully charged? If not, the steering will work, but the car wont move. If it is the stock NIMH battery, and the stock FTX charger, it takes between 6 and 8 hours to fully charge. If you do happen to have the stock NIMH and the FTX fast charger, it still takes roughly 2 hours to charge. If you have the stock FTX Lipo charger, and the 800MAH Lipo they typically ship with their cars, it can take 3 to 4 hours to fully charge.

Does the steering work though? Wil the front wheels turn left and right? If it is definitely the ETronix Photon 2.1, then the manual i linked is the right one for it.
Hiya sorry been away all day and just back. Wanted to chek it’s definitely the photon 2.1w which it is. I have the copy of that manual you gave me which is fine. It’s just that my transmitter has a separate manual. I don’t have the one in the RC manual that you sent me. Steering works goes left right. Motor spins round. There’s no forward and backward. It doesn’t seem to be binded and I can’t do it. I have no solid green light. I e tracked a pic from the transmitter that explains how to bind. I can’t get it to work. In the note in the instructions it states put transmitter into bind mode first the. The receiver. To be honest I can’t figure how to put receiver into bind mode. On page 6 of that manual you sent me relating to the ESC I have the switch and there is a little button on their to. I can’t see anywhere that tells me in detail what to do to get the receiver into bind mode. I’m probably missing it but this is my first time with this stuff.
Another thought just occurred to me. Is the battery for the car fully charged? If not, the steering will work, but the car wont move. If it is the stock NIMH battery, and the stock FTX charger, it takes between 6 and 8 hours to fully charge. If you do happen to have the stock NIMH and the FTX fast charger, it still takes roughly 2 hours to charge. If you have the stock FTX Lipo charger, and the 800MAH Lipo they typically ship with their cars, it can take 3 to 4 hours to fully charge.
So fair point on the below. When I used the buggy for first time it didn’t last too long I assumed the battery was low. I then put it on charge and I was surprised how long it was taking. It did take about 6 hours. I then put the now full charged battery into the car and that’s when the issue started. Wheels turn no movement.

Attachments

• 20BB7FDD-21FB-4828-9195-A0567B68FDCA.jpeg
    20BB7FDD-21FB-4828-9195-A0567B68FDCA.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 35
Hiya sorry been away all day and just back. Wanted to chek it’s definitely the photon 2.1w which it is. I have the copy of that manual you gave me which is fine. It’s just that my transmitter has a separate manual. I don’t have the one in the RC manual that you sent me. Steering works goes left right. Motor spins round. There’s no forward and backward. It doesn’t seem to be binded and I can’t do it. I have no solid green light. I e tracked a pic from the transmitter that explains how to bind. I can’t get it to work. In the note in the instructions it states put transmitter into bind mode first the. The receiver. To be honest I can’t figure how to put receiver into bind mode. On page 6 of that manual you sent me relating to the ESC I have the switch and there is a little button on their to. I can’t see anywhere that tells me in detail what to do to get the receiver into bind mode. I’m probably missing it but this is my first time with this stuff.

So fair point on the below. When I used the buggy for first time it didn’t last too long I assumed the battery was low. I then put it on charge and I was surprised how long it was taking. It did take about 6 hours. I then put the now full charged battery into the car and that’s when the issue started. Wheels turn no movement.
If the steering works, and the motor spins, it isnt a bind issue. First make absolutely certain you hear the motor spinning. If you do, then that means either the pinion gear came loose on the motor, or the spur gear teeth got stripped. Either way, it means tearing it apart a bit to see what the issue is.
This pic shows the spur cover, where the blue arrow is pointing, and, the red circles show the screws you have to remove to take off the cover. The part the red arrow points to may also have to come off.

ftx5570ks-8.jpg

This is the gear cover:
FTX8330-700x700.jpg

Last edited:

Tried to upload a video but couldn’t. No it doesn’t go back and forth. It’s just the wheels that turn. I’ve tried re bonding but the green led light just keeps flashing and the red light is permanently on. I think that mean means it’s already binded?
By "No it doesn’t go back and forth" do you mean the servo, the little motor that turns the wheels? You also said that the steering system didn't appear to be binding/catching on anything, so my guess is maybe you or the previous owner burned/stripped (the gears) out the servo? I'd say order a new servo, and you might be back in action. The stock servo probably won't cost to much (I'm guessing <$20), or you could get a better, upgrade servo with more power and/or speed.

By "No it doesn’t go back and forth" do you mean the servo, the little motor that turns the wheels? You also said that the steering system didn't appear to be binding/catching on anything, so my guess is maybe you or the previous owner burned/stripped (the gears) out the servo? I'd say order a new servo, and you might be back in action. The stock servo probably won't cost to much (I'm guessing <$20), or you could get a better, upgrade servo with more power and/or speed.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Between what you have said and Bigmann I’ve got plenty to digest here as a newbie. I’ve contacted the retailer as it’s within 30 days but I feel with the info I’ve gained in this thread I have far more than the zero knowledge I had a few days ago. Thank you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Between what you have said and Bigmann I’ve got plenty to digest here as a newbie. I’ve contacted the retailer as it’s within 30 days but I feel with the info I’ve gained in this thread I have far more than the zero knowledge I had a few days ago. Thank you.
If you have more questions, just ask! You're welcome, you're a quick leaner! So now you have steering, but no forward/reverse movement? If you can get a replacement unit, that'd be best, and cheaper, but hey, if you can't, this could be a good learning experience! Do you know how to care for LiPos, ie. charging, discharging, storage voltage, ect.?

If you have more questions, just ask! You're welcome, you're a quick leaner! So now you have steering, but no forward/reverse movement? If you can get a replacement unit, that'd be best, and cheaper, but hey, if you can't, this could be a good learning experience! Do you know how to care for LiPos, ie. charging, discharging, storage voltage, ect.?
Ehhh no not yet. So much to learn.

Ehhh no not yet. So much to learn.
Ok, I could tell you, but honestly that'd be a lot of typing (and I'm kinda lazy), so here are a couple articles worth reading up on (I've read and checked them myself to make sure they are correct and up to date). It might seem like a lot, but take it easy, and you'll learn it quick!

*Note: ignore all the stuff directly targeted for RC aircraft, skip the stuff like landing, but learn all the stuff that applies to LiPos in general*
https://fpvfc.org/beginners-guide-to-lipo-batteries

This one is longer, but refer back to these articles when needed, and you don't have to read it all in a sitting!
https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide
Feel free to ask me (or any of the members) if you have any specific questions!

Hi, purchased the exact same car for my 11 Yr old for Xmas today and guess what, charged it up, took it out for twenty minutes until the battery died and recharged it to find that only the steering works, no forward or reverse at all. Tried everything, did you have any look? I've emailed RC Geeks so hopefully they'll reply after the Xmas break... We have a very upset child :(
Hi, purchased the exact same car for my 11 Yr old for Xmas today and guess what, charged it up, took it out for twenty minutes until the battery died and recharged it to find that only the steering works, no forward or reverse at all. Tried everything, did you have any look? I've emailed RC Geeks so hopefully they'll reply after the Xmas break... We have a very upset child :(

Back