Ftx brushed esc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaenavonbutt

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. Newbie question here.
I've just bought both my kids ftx outlaw brushed buggys for Christmas . They are 10 and 13. Since I've bought them I've read about how bad the esc's can be on them.
Is this really the case and should I upgrade now or when/if they stop working.
Bit worried about them failing on their first few outings.
Thanks.

Iam not familiar with that brand.as for failing I have searched the web and only find people breaking other parts due to bad driving. if you fell it might fail then Id preopen and go to a open place and run it...as I'm not new person to rc and from my 1st rc I have carried parts to repair my rc but again I'm not like most...have fun hope Xmas is good...

Iam not familiar with that brand.as for failing I have searched the web and only find people breaking other parts due to bad driving. if you fell it might fail then Id preopen and go to a open place and run it...as I'm not new person to rc and from my 1st rc I have carried parts to repair my rc but again I'm not like most...have fun hope Xmas is good...
Thanks for the reply.

a few fyi.. more than likely the rc battery will take hours to charge more than 3 with a rtr charger. and its a 550 brushed motor a new esc will also have to run a 550 sized motor on what's known now as 2 cell lipo or a 6 cell nimh that the rtr comes with) you will also need to connect new esc to motor .soldering required and calibrate new esc to whatever radio its put on..also the esc will need the same battery connector your buggies have..

a few fyi.. more than likely the rc battery will take hours to charge more than 3 with a rtr charger. and its a 550 brushed motor a new esc will also have to run a 550 sized motor on what's known now as 2 cell lipo or a 6 cell nimh that the rtr comes with) you will also need to connect new esc to motor .soldering required and calibrate new esc to whatever radio its put on..also the esc will need the same battery connector your buggies have..
I've also bought a fast charger to go with it so that'll speed up the process.

If they're anything like the brushless versions, then yes, they will fail.
I have a Carnage and Outlaw/Octane and both brushless ESC's were replaced within a year.

If they're anything like the brushless versions, then yes, they will fail.
I have a Carnage and Outlaw/Octane and both brushless ESC's were replaced within a year.
OK thanks for the reply. If they last past Christmas holidays I'll be pleased then haha.
Any idea what a good replacement is please?,

I'm a older man that has been in this wonderful hobby since the mid 1970's . and I have competed at many races ..I'm a old school brushed lover..and when I want a brushed esc I got to my brushed esc boxes and pull out the brand that I just love.not many are waterproof but they all work for my many needs..that brand is Tekin almost any tekin with more than 60 amps will do..Id not go with any of the G series for that 550 motors...sure I own many other brushed esc my best is a ko vfs1 and 2 1200+ amps run my 2 turn tops in a 132' and 600' at there best...check ebay amazon .I prefer old school to new except for batteries and radios..1st car ever was a cox shrike tether car. was great fun for the 5 laps eill string broke and car ran 400' into cross traffic and under a tanker trucks rear 10 wheels.1 month later after writing a letter to cox a.I get 2 nib cars and a apology letter saying hope these bring you joy...yellow n green had a red..went on to mod the green demon (I call it )put in a 1ch radio that would move a brake rod to allow me to turn right and left...a 550 motor will put alot of stress on a 1/10 scale esc thats a 540 in my book..and Id go for a esc with atleast 80 amps...

Last edited:
Tekin is what I always used with my brushed motors. I'm starting to use Tekin for my brushless stuff just because it's Tekin. Tekin still makes an ESC specifically for brushed motors, but I'm not sure if it will push a 550. A little pricey though. Hobbywing makes decent ESCs. A lot of racers swear by them. They're much cheaper than Tekin.

I'm a older man that has been in this wonderful hobby since the mid 1970's . and I have competed at many races ..I'm a old school brushed lover..and when I want a brushed esc I got to my brushed esc boxes and pull out the brand that I just love.not many are waterproof but they all work for my many needs..that brand is Tekin almost any tekin with more than 60 amps will do..Id not go with any of the G series for that 550 motors...sure I own many other brushed esc my best is a ko vfs1 and 2 1200+ amps run my 2 turn tops in a 132' and 600' at there best...check ebay amazon .I prefer old school to new except for batteries and radios..1st car ever was a cox shrike tether car. was great fun for the 5 laps eill string broke and car ran 400' into cross traffic and under a tanker trucks rear 10 wheels.1 month later after writing a letter to cox a.I get 2 nib cars and a apology letter saying hope these bring you joy...yellow n green had a red..went on to mod the green demon (I call it )put in a 1ch radio that would move a brake rod to allow me to turn right and left...a 550 motor will put alot of stress on a 1/10 scale esc thats a 540 in my book..and Id go for a esc with atleast 80 amps...
Thank you for your reply. Interesting.

Hi. Newbie question here.
I've just bought both my kids ftx outlaw brushed buggys for Christmas . They are 10 and 13. Since I've bought them I've read about how bad the esc's can be on them.
Is this really the case and should I upgrade now or when/if they stop working.
Bit worried about them failing on their first few outings.
Thanks.
If they were bought New and you run them On Nimh Batteries or a 2s Lipo you shouldn’t really have any Problems.
People tell you there Crap when they’ve tried using a High Turn Motor or Ran it on a high Voltage. That’s not to say they’re awesome but suitable for the Stock running gear.
Should they go wrong on the first few outings I would speak to where you bought it from they’d ask you to return the Esc.
Failing that assuming you just want a direct replacement you can go for a Hobbywing 1060 that’s not too Dissimilar and won’t break the piggy bank . ?

If they were bought New and you run them On Nimh Batteries or a 2s Lipo you shouldn’t really have any Problems.
People tell you there Crap when they’ve tried using a High Turn Motor or Ran it on a high Voltage. That’s not to say they’re awesome but suitable for the Stock running gear.
Should they go wrong on the first few outings I would speak to where you bought it from they’d ask you to return the Esc.
Failing that assuming you just want a direct replacement you can go for a Hobbywing 1060 that’s not too Dissimilar and won’t break the piggy bank . ?
Thank you for the reply. Interesting!