friction pegs t-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeshmoe

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
what are the friction pegs on the t- maxx spur gear made out of ? you can probably see what I'm gettin at here. I'm wondering if i can make my own. yes i am a cheapskate---

I'd have to say polyurethane. They seem to be about as dense as 1:1 body mounts. A package of them only cost a couple bucks. A slipper clutch needs to work right. If the material is too hard or soft, you'll never get the slipper set right. Which is vital to performance and drivetrain longevity.

A package of them only cost a couple bucks. A slipper clutch needs to work right. If the material is too hard or soft, you'll never get the slipper set right. Which is vital to performance and drivetrain longevity.

I agree 100%! Just spend the two or three bucks and get the right part.

Also, when you replace them use all 12, one in each hole, not just one in every other hole like they come stock. The slipper will work much better like this.

Could always just ditch the pegs and upgrade to their newer slipper setup:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSGN1&P=7

Then again... if your looking at saving $5... a $20 option may not be in the cards. ;)

I want to say some guys used to used loose bearings... like what's used in a 2wd ball diff.

What I hated about the pegs was that they were a PITA to put back in. I would always crush at least one... stupid 12 pack of pegs... Traxxas should have at least been courteous enough to make it a bakers dozen for peg crushers like me!

Thanks for the info

Could always just ditch the pegs and upgrade to their newer slipper setup:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSGN1&P=7

Then again... if your looking at saving $5... a $20 option may not be in the cards. ;)

I want to say some guys used to used loose bearings... like what's used in a 2wd ball diff.

What I hated about the pegs was that they were a PITA to put back in. I would always crush at least one... stupid 12 pack of pegs... Traxxas should have at least been courteous enough to make it a bakers dozen for peg crushers like me!

I didnt crush them but I lost one, I checked out the new conversion, it looks to be a lot more effective than the old type. Do you know anyone who has made the upgrade? I would like some feedback on it..I am more interested in performance than I am in saving money. I guess that make me "not a total cheapskate", just thrifty. thanks for all of the information, I'm sure it will prove to be very useful. Joeshmoe

The new slipper setup is pretty nice. You just have to make sure and not crank them all the way tight. They have pressure plates that keep tension on the spur. If you crush them, it's either lock the slipper or have it slip like crazy. They're pretty much a set and forget setup though.

Back