FPV Plank Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I've been itching to do this for a while now. Main reasons are the extended flight time vs a quad, and the fact that planes can glide, quads become lawn darts and the overall cost is super cheap compared to an FPV quad build. I'm pretty covered up the next few days, so it will likely be next week before I get it in the air. It will be flown LOS first with no gear onboard, then LOS with everything onboard and powered up, then FPV flight will come last. I will also be using my RF explorer to take as much of the risk out of the equation as I possibly can. Going old school on this one also, using 72mhz for control. It has more range then I will need, and with the older TX like I have running on a 3s lipo, they put out gobs of TX power. I have some special sites planned to hike n fly for video this summer if all goes well.

Yep, that box contains Rolex's favorite thing. :D

P1000660%20Large_zpssvazbjbs.jpg

The goods;

RMRC sky surfer 1500mm with optional equipment shelf (I opted for the smaller version as it will be easier to pack into where I want to fly)
Futaba 72mhz TX module and RX for my T8UAF
Lawmate 2.4Ghz video TX and RX
VAS blue beam CP video antennas
SMA extension (just in case I want to move my video antenna around a bit for frequency separation)
new current sensor for my Skylark tiny OSD that will be migrated over from my FPV quad
prop adapter (in case I feel the need for more punch at some point)

P1000663%20Large_zpsci6ob6jk.jpg

This will make some AWESOME videos!

FPV Plank. Sounds kinky.

Got a little bit done tonight. Got all the control horns mounted (still need to trim the screws down), and got all the stickers put on. With any luck, it'll be airworthy by the weekend.

P1000733%20Large_zpsqvetqmwp.jpg

P1000735%20Large_zpsycsffzao.jpg

Finally getting back to this one now that things have settled down around here. I cut down and filed all those control horn screws, and starting getting my electronics installed. Hoping to maiden it Saturday morning if all goes according to plan this evening. Then I'll start adding my FPV gear.

SkySurfer_zpsdkjvhmz5.jpg

Back