For those with a converted Revo 3.3 brushless 4S, what do you run for pinion/spur gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
It’s powered by a Traxxas 5000 MAH 4S battery to a hobbywing max 8 easy run G2 combo with the 2250KV motor. Right now, my tires are pretty big because I’m running the Duratrax six packs that are 6.5” tall and 4.1” wide with Hot Racing 10mm wheel hub extensions. Front and rear bumper are aluminum, motor mount is aluminum that is bolted to the top of the original motor mount being modified and the battery tray where the fuel tank used to be is a mixture of plastic and aluminum. I do have the center differential installed with 20 million weight fluid.

Right now I’m running a 17T pinion and a 38T spur for a 2.23:1 ratio which I thought was pretty high but this car just still feels like it has a lot more torque than what it needs to because even going about 30, 40 miles an hour, I can slam the throttle down and it’ll still pick the front wheels off the ground. What gear ratio do you guys run and what would you recommend to maybe get a little more speed and just not so torque-y?

I’m not real sure what my top speed is with this being that the last time I tried it, I had my smaller Traxxas talon EXT‘s on which is the stock tire for the Revo 2.0 and before I blew out one of the tires I think I hit about 50 mph which I think is real close to top speed.

Thanks. 

Well, I read elsewhere that a guy was running a 19T/36T pinion/spur combo on a brushless Revo 3.3 for a ratio of 1.89:1 and said it was still a little much on the torque so I figured I would try a 36T spur from Traxxas and a 20T pinion from Robinson Racing for a 1.8:1 ratio and see how that does. Last time I messed with it, I'm pretty sure I have the slipper clutch set correctly. I have a brand new set of Hot Racing carbon fiber slipper clutch pads, you think might be better? Will update when the new gears show up.

Back