Flywheel moves both ways, is that normal?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel J

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
I can turn my flywheel both ways and it will turn the engine over is that normal. Thanks

You can actually start/run an engine backwards. It just doesn't run as well.

Usually, with a pull-start engine, the one way bearing grabs when you spin in the wrong direction and then the pull starter keeps it from spinning in the wrong direction. But with a bump start, or e-start (traxxas ez-start, losi spin start, hpi roto start), it can just spin in the opposite direction due to the lack of anything stopping it.

You can actually start/run an engine backwards. It just doesn't run as well.

Usually, with a pull-start engine, the one way bearing grabs when you spin in the wrong direction and then the pull starter keeps it from spinning in the wrong direction. But with a bump start, or e-start (traxxas ez-start, losi spin start, hpi roto start), it can just spin in the opposite direction due to the lack of anything stopping it.
Yup.

I've had an actually pullstart engine run the wrong direction before. Was a very tired one way bearing in an OS21RG. Kind of backfired when I was starting it and started running. Sounded really weird and was spinning my savage spur in reverse when I gave it gas. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. I thought I blew something in the transmission, but a savage spur spins freely when spun backwards due to the one way bearing in the transmission on 1st gear. I killed it, then started it back up and it sounded normal again and worked fine the rest of the day.

Lol ,my hyper 21 in my street car actually started backwards ,it threw me for a loop ,because the car actually was
driving backwards ,an it has no reverse gearing!.....LOL ,it took me a minute to figure out what happened ,I was totally
stumped!.....:wtf:

Haha! If that happened to me I would piss myself lol