FLM Hyper Chasis and Picco .26Max Red Dot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyBoi83

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and the whole Nitro R/C hobby itself. I have a few buddies that are into it and I've been listening to them talk about it (quite often) for the past few months and I must stay, it really struck my interest. I recently went out and purchased a pre-owned Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 to give it a try, and I must say.. I'm sucked in lol. Anyways I'll get to the point :)

As I previously stated, the T-Maxx I purchased was pre-owned, and not in the greatest condition.. I'm only going to use it as a template of sorts to my own creation.. I intend on entirely revamping the entire truck. I've already purchased a few hop-ups already (Traxxas Big Bore shocks with titanium nitride shafts, RPM A-arms, Integy Aluminum Shock Towers) that I installed on the stock body itself.

The next thing I went to do before I go any further is upgrade the chasis and engine

The chasis I've had my eyes on is the FastLane Machine Hyper Chasis and the engine I've been scoping out is the Picco .26Max Red Dot.

The FLM Chasis states it accepts .21's or small blocks.. Now as far as my understanding goes the Picco .26 is a midblock and will fit a stock chasis with the addition of an after market engine mount (New Era for example). I'm going to say it is safe to assume that the Picco .26 will fit on this chasis as well by the same means.

If someone could clarify this for me, it would be much appreciated :)

If you get anything from FLM I hope you don't need to replace under warranty, even though they say that they have a lifetime warranty it will take you a life time to get replaced. But its a great product.

If you get anything from FLM I hope you don't need to replace under warranty, even though they say that they have a lifetime warranty it will take you a life time to get replaced. But its a great product.

Isn't that generally how most business' work anyway? Nobody ever wants to do work or give something out for free lol

I've been contemplating on getting FLM's Hybrid Bulks, they're a solid piece with the differential case built in and removes the need for a bulk brace. They're products seem to be of quality compared to a lot of what I've seen on the net

I have a full FLM rig and love it, its very strong and looks great but I had to replace a dog bone from them and it took about two months just to get a replacement.
One more thing stay away from anything that say integy on it. It's all garbage. A wast of money.

The Hyper chassis works well with the TMaxx and the Picco .26 will bolt directly to it or the stock chassis with the correct engine mount. I recommend the Ofna mount over the New Era.
If you do decide to get the Hybrid bulks, call and ask/discuss with them if the center front shaft problem fitment issue has been resolved with the Hybrid bulks.
Let them know what transmission you are using so there will not be a mix up.

^^^+1 that's the problem I had and still have they sent out two new shafts for me but they are the same size so they obviously didn't fix the issue. I ended up putting the stock plastic one on, problem solved..... For now.

^^^+1 that's the problem I had and still have they sent out two new shafts for me but they are the same size so they obviously didn't fix the issue. I ended up putting the stock plastic one on, problem solved..... For now.

Lol until you put the Picco on and it twists them. A buddy of mine has a new 3.3 Tmaxx, and after about a month on the stock shafts his are twisting bad.

I have to say that not everything Integy makes is crap. Most of it yes but I have a few parts on my Savage XL that are from them and they are holding up really well. Their rear hub carriers and their steering bellcrank assembley have been serving me well and holding up to some serious bashing. Plus I hear they make a pretty good 3 shoe clutch.

IMO that's all they make that's worth the money and my time.

Transmissions and the drive train is still a subject I have a lot to learn on.. I know with the more powerful engines you have to switch out the plastic stock gears and drive shafts with something more durable, like steel components. I know nothing on gear ratios and whatnot, besides changing the size of your spur gear and clutch bell alters torque and speed..

Only thing from Integy I've bought thus far is shock towers, but it's kind of disappointing to hear that the majority of their products are garbage. They're the only company I've seen, thus far, that offers green and gun metal aluminum parts.. Which is part of the color scheme I was going with for my truck.. Silver, Green, and Gun Metal.. Sad day :(.

I decided to go with the Picco .26Max Red Dot for the T-MAXX because all my friends are running Savage Xs with LRP .30 competions and spec2s.. which are extremely torquey.. Since the T-Maxx is a smaller and lighter truck (at least in my opinion) I wanted something that could accelerate like a big block, but could reach higher RPM ranges like a small block. Ultimately I'm hoping to be able to take the savages in the top speed department down the straights.

Yea I heard that. I know what I'm getting myself into.. To an extent. I'm the the type of person who prefers quality over quantity.

My new picco .26 JL red dot hasn't twisted any shafts(yet)

All I can tell you is good luck. I have a Savage XL with an LRP .32 3 speed trans and run a 16t cb and a 49t spur and it is extermely fast. Not brushless fast but my buddy has the picco .26 on his T-MAXX and when we raced he couldn't even get close. I smoked him by at least 2 truck lenghts. Your advantage will be in the corners where the T-MAXX handles better.

cheap dogbone center shaft and brushless maxx diff in the rear is really all you need behind a red dot. After youve got these two taken care of your next problem will be those darned plastic tranny gears. second gear tends to shell out. And a stock traxxas clutch will last less than one gallon.

Thx Dub C, that's good to know. I'll probably end up revamping the drive shafts, the diff, tranny and the clutch.

Anyone have any suggestions on the size spur gear and clutch bell I should go with, for the Picco .26 JL Red Dot? I'm looking for a happy balance between torque and speed for now. Later on after my friends and I build our track, if I need to change it up I will.. Say if I need more acceleration over speed.

Back