First Time Out With The Rustler And I Have Some Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiris

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just took out my Rustler VXL for the first time and i have a few questions.

1. The rear shocks are already leaking oil. Should i upgrade. If so what are some good shocks that are not going to cost to much.

2. Engine overheated in 10 minutes. I'm running 2 cell LiPo batteries in it. Is there anything that can be done to get longer run time before it overheats.

3. The esc overheated too. Will a fan fix that?

4. I already need new tires. Will the stampede tires work with it or is there something better.

Thanks

-Mark

PS: Yes this is my first electric car :hehe:

change your gearing to fix ur heat problem,fan will help but not fix,check shock caps..

where u doing alot of like donuts or anything like that were there wouldnt be no wind on ur car?

the new tires thing i dont no how u burned a set of tires in the first time u run it

um, alright, where you doing alot of spinnen? like, were you out in wet road? or snow? cause think about it like this,

your a piston, now when you spin, your tires are going faster then the car, like 300 times faster, so if your that piston, would you like to move that fast? so it makes it seem like your barley driving because its doing alot of spinning, and alot of heating,

I did no spinning a little hill climbing and some jumps tires were used and had been ran on the street alot

mhmm...
Maybe some kinda, glitch with the electics?

following on Bmillers thoughts...
what is your current gearing on th spur and pinion gears? if you are overgeared you will heat up the motor and esc fairly quickly. the more info you give usup front the more the members cn help.

as for longer run times, what mah rating is the lipo you used? the higher the rating the longer the run time

just today I ran a 2s through my sons rustler 45 min and didn't even get hot so I would say that you are geared too high. I was running 18/86.... try gearing your pinion down a bit....

I'm running 28/83 were you still getting a good takeoff?

So what gearing should i go with so i don't overheat the engine but still get a good punch?

at my gearing it was riding wheelies so I would start with a 23 tooth pinion and go down from there if necessary.....

Oh ok ill have to see about getting to the shop to buy one thanks!!

Back