First time charging my venom 5000, 25c lipo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traxxasaddix

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just purchased a Savage XS and need some guidance charging the lipo for the first time.

I have an Onyx 235 advanced balance charger and a Venom 5000/25c Lipo.

Can someone please tell me the proper current, safety time, peak and trickle amount.

Between what the shop owner, manuals and forums had told me I am confused as heck.

Thank you guys!!!

There arent any peak and trickle settings for lipo. Just set it to 5A charge and whatever cell count of the lipo is and it should be fine. I set my timer for 120 minutes. usually take 60-90 minutes to charge a 5000mAh lipo depending on the charger and the cell count.

I have that charger and although it's a good charger I've pretty much out grown it. Just follow the manual for the set up step by step, when you enter the values of mah and cell count it adjusts the current for you. You can set the current up manually to if you want but just go with what the charger says ( which is 5A for a 5000mah pack)
When I say I outgrew it I just really don't like that's there's no storage mode or discharge option and just seems like it's slow, especially when there's chargers out there for cheaper with those options.

what is a good lipo charger? i have a half dozen lipos and its a PITA to charge them all seperately. one is 2s- 20c/4000,one is 2s-20c/5000, and four are 2s-50c/5000. i realize the first two need to charge seperately. but the four big ones are the same battery, by the same manufacturer. would seem to me if you run 4s the two batteries would need to be balance-charged together.
i have had my tekin flux a year and have not run it but one time due to my confusions with batteries and chargers.

I'm in the market for one now it's gets confusing lol. There's a lot out there and finding the one that's right for you, in the price range you want and can grow with you is difficult man. Just research batteries and chargers on all kinds of forums in all honesty I've found heli forum's have some good info on both.

Also I don't know what's the minimum amperage needed to safely run a tekin esc/motor combo, but I know on the stock flux the only batteries you've listed that are going to cut are the 2s 50c.

Any high quality charger that is going to be up to the task of charging multiple lipos at one time is probably gonna cost in the $150+ range. Personally Id recommend the Powerlab6 (or PL8 if you do 7 or 8S lipos) but it aint cheap. The charger runs about $180 if I remember correctly and their Parallel charging board is another $75. It an amazing charger though. and the programmabilty of it using their software on a PC or laptop is quite impressive. You do have to buy the PC cable seperately though but it doesn't cost very much. Its capable of 1000W and 40A. If your gonna spend $150+ anyway you might as well go for the gusto. :)

You can look around out there and see what all is available but I havent seen anything that rivals the power output of the Powerlabs chargers. Theres a few that claim to be 1000W but only put out 30A. I have some videos that may be of some use to you. One is on various features to look for in a charger and one is on how to calculate the power requirements of a power supply for whatever charger you do end up buying.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u7ovgJg6VY"]Electrics 101 - Topic 5 of 8 - "Lipo Chargers" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrG51gaVj-k"]How To Pick The Right Size Power Supply For Your Lipo Charger - YouTube[/ame]

I've looked into the powerlabs and the specs are more then I need right now but that is what I'm looking for, something that can grow with me and I won't need to upgrade later. I was watching some of your videos last night and reading about batteries and chargers and good settings to program the flux esc to, I blame you for me going to bed at 5am last night lol. I'm going to watch those ones you posted up tonight after hockey, I got some more articles on batteries and chargers bookmarked as well to read. I also really need to read up on power supplies as well.

I had to choke down the cost of the PL6 but once I did I absolutely love it! I dont use it to its full potential right now but I'm betting I will eventually.

I'll look into it more, it's going to have to wait though cause I'm going to need a power supply as well and don't have the money for it right now. So the onyx will have to do for now.

Back