First Nitro RC: Got aT-Maxx; Could use some help here please!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a t-maxx classic with a 3.3 and an foc

Thanks for the identification help!!!
Whats FOC?

Ill look for the T-Maxx Classic Manual on their website...
Maybe I can Figure something out about this truck now. Like if reverse ever came with it lol.
Does it appear to be all stock parts?

Ok, So I have an Origional T-maxx; like the very first? That came with the 3.3 Origional? Or a 2.5 and a 3.3 was put in?
FOC--> "Conversion"... ? As in... It HAD reverse and soft mods (such as parts removals) make it only forward at the moment? Or hard mods make it go forward only?(Not capible of having reverse added the way it sits)?

Do you know the Number so i can find the manual for it?

Traxxas website wont load for me at the moment to look...

It was upgraded to a 3.3 mill...looks to be a 2nd generation t-maxx with a few newer parts

So basically i have a Frankenstein!

Does anyone have the link to the "base" model trucks manual?

I overlooked the front driveline

IT is 4x4. The kid said something broke so he just pulled out the front drive shaft up until he got new parts.... So i know it was 4x4.

I want to say its the 4910 then. Because it came with a 2.5 motor in a box, and had the 3.3 in it.... The remote says 3.3 so.... its not the original radio?

Whats the FOC mod contain.... How do i enable reverse too? Do i have the parts in the picture??

You can convert your FOC (forward only conversion) transmission to a transmission w/reverse by either purchasing a SportMaxx upgrade kit
part # 5194X or buy a complete tranny from a ebay chop shop.

This is the FOC conversion:
foc1.jpg

This is the reverse assembly that the FOC replaces:
foc2.jpg
As far as your extra parts go, the shock springs, a couple of shocks, the air filter, the 2075 servo and the spur gear are the only
Maxx compatible parts I see :confused:

I dont know what to do with this thing. It seems like i need so much to get it where i want....

Can i get a different/bigger motor or something?

I want everything for 4 wheel drive, and reverse atleast.

What are the best mods or anything that can be done to these trucks?

I dont know what to do with this thing. It seems like i need so much to get it where i want....

Can i get a different/bigger motor or something?

I want everything for 4 wheel drive, and reverse atleast.
Its easy to feel overwhelmed at first but don't get discouraged.
Start with the basics....get it running and drive it. Get a feel for it, then make your changes.
Hold off on buying a new engine, chances are one of your two engines still has some life in it.
This tuning guide should get you up and running..
https://traxxas.com/support/How-Start-and-Tune-TRX-2533-Racing-Engine

If you don't want to hassle with disassembling the tranny to add reverse, the easy route is to drop in one of these:
ranging from 50-100 bucks, they're ready to drop in and roll.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-491...062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fb44bb36

To add 4WD you can go with a kit like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-519...500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8c82aab4

or purchase the parts individually, we can supply the part numbers you'll need.

As for upgrades, there's tons of them available but forget those for now, get basics handled first

Trout nailed it on the head there..I couldn't agree more!...get her goin and having fun then mod what needs to be modded...BTW getting rid of reverse is one the best mods you can do to a t-maxx

I am still confused on what t-maxx it its. The Transmission is Black, like the 4910 and the receiver has the black square on it like the 4910 instead of the OptiDrive (like on the 4909) but the Radio even says 3.3 Racing Engine....

My Battery box on the truck has a rubber boot that the 4909 manual i saw dosent. Like a charging port?

But yea, First i would like to get 4x4, That kit you posted isnt bad, compared to if i went seperate it would probably add up to more. But what parts are interchangeable? Does the model matter in this case?

That sticker on your transmitter is just a sticker bud,someone put it on there!.....your rig is not a from the factory rig!...

WOW!!! Look at this!!

SO.... Is it possible the research is over??

Man, I hope so! haha! j/k
Hotrodrob is 100% correct, that's not a factory sticker on the transmitter. Those stickers are included with new engines and the previous owner added it.
Feel free to remove it if it bothers you.
Speaking of engines, very little gunk and burnt fuel on the crankcase leads me to believe your 3.3 is a fairly new engine.
Any possibility you can remove the cooling head and post a pic of the top of the piston, crank case, and such?

It can be tough to pinpoint what year and model a Maxx is since the parts have been interchangeable since 1999
This timeline explains the variations and how the Maxx series has progressed over the past 16 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traxxas#Maxx_family
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traxxas#Maxx_Trucks

Back