First Nitro RC: Got aT-Maxx; Could use some help here please!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red switch is for reverse if the truck is equiped with it.

I thought that red switch activated the drone mode and i could make it fly..... crap. haha

I'm gonna invest in a reverse kit, i dont want to walk 500 feet to get my truck backed up 2 feet lol Ill have to look into the kits....

I HATE EZ-START!!! It is nothing but problems!!!
And I think my "ez start 2" battery crapped out.... It had never had a consistent light up pattern on the "traxxas" box on the cord. Its a 12v cigarette lighter plug, with a box in the middle and the little plug at the end that attaches.
Heres a picture of it:
2vd4mkw.jpg

If you have it all unplugged, and plug in the 12v first, with no battery the light blinks red. If you have the battery in and the 12v not plugged in, it blinks red.
If it is all disconnected, and you plug in just the 12v the box will blink red, then you plug in the battery and it will blink green like 5 times, then blink red. Thats the only way I've ever seen or got it to blink green.

So when i try to start my motor there is not enough juice in the wand to even turn it over. I dont know what happened, other then I OVER CHARGED the battery and broke it, because it ALWAYS EVER ONLY BLINKED RED!!! From the time it was branGd new, to the time i know it was dead because i drained it all, ALWAYS RED RED RED!!! NEVER GREEN!! So now EZ-START battery wont even hold juice to get it started up!

THEY ARE ALL BRAND NEW, WAND, CHARGER, BATTERY, ALL NEW!!
30rwfhw.jpg

Beings I got this rig used, I dont know if it was a 2.5 or 3.3 truck to begin with. My radio says 3.3 tho.... I see some had reverse, some didnt?? Can anyone tell me how to identify if i originally had reverse or not? and what i need to get to add reverse if i dont/didnt have it? I dont know know what this truck was originally like model number or not..... There is alot more to them then i thought, beings its only a RC truck i didnt expect so much complexity....Thanks!!

You need an electrical tester. I would suggest a digital meter. That way you can tell if it is holding a charge and/or the charger is working. That fully charged battery should be putting out at least 7.2 volts DC. Make sure the meter can read DC voltage. It will take the mystery out of it. You can't look at it and tell what it is really doing. The lights are supposed to tell you what it is doing but they may still light if it is not doing anything.

The charger itself could be bad also.

Ill take my multimeter out and test a few different variations and see if i can figure out whats going on with that then.... good idea.

Pullstart and a new igniter is a pretty solid setup!..it's also lighter and can be fixed in the field with basic pit tools

Can anyone tell me if i had reverse stock? Or how to tell? I can take pictures of the truck for you.

I read a lot of stuff about people removing reverse? Is there a way to tell if I "HAD" reverse and it was taken out?

There is the red switch on the remote. Would they put the switch on a remote if it didnt have it?

I have a 7 channel Spektrum transmitter for planes and helis. When I order an extra receiver it's a 7 channel. Even those with 4 channel radios get a 7 channel rx. It's easier to make them ALL 7 channels then to make and inventory 4 channel, 5 channel, 6 channel, etc. It's there if needed, not a problem if not.

I am sorry Rolex, i dont understand where your going with that??

it's rolex nobody else does either.:p I believe he is just saying that just because it looks like it does doesn't mean it really has reverse.

Last edited:
Oh, well its the stock radio, it says T-maxx 3.3 right on it. So thats why i thought possibly having the switch might be a sign. Ill go back to researching. I dont know the model number of the truck... or anything about it.

Have you got the manual for it? If not, you can get it HERE.
Scroll down the list and look at the Tmaxx versions. When you find yours, download the manual. Then you'll also be able to see if you have the reverse trans or if it needs a shift servo.

That is the main problem i am having. I got the truck used from someone that i am not able to get in contact with anymore, so I am not 100% sure which "Traxxas T-Maxx" model it is. It says The remote is a 3 channel and says "3.3" along with "Racing Engine" or something or other, but thats all i know. I dont really even know if that remote is the original to the truck; it came with two engines, a 2.5 and the 3.3.

Is there Identifiable markings or differences on the truck itself somewhere that can help give me a specific model number?

EDIT: The kid also had a lot of random parts for RC vehicles in a little box. I notice some of the things he had on there were not original to a "T-maxx"; he told me when i got it he had just random springs on it in addition to stiffen it up, like 6 sets of different wheels and tires, 3 bodys... I never thought to ask him a model number because i had no idea what i was looking at.
I did need a piece of wire one day and told my buddy "Here cut one of these"- grabbing something out of the random parts box and i think he said "No dont cut one of tose you idiot thats a servo"..... so now I really dont know....

I wil have to wait for a response to this; and possibly take some pictures and post them on here and see if someone can tell me anything....

Last edited:
If you look through the Tmaxx manuals on that site you'll probably be able to recognize what you have if he hasn't done too many upgrades to it. Other than that, post up some pics and someone here will know exactly what it is.

Ok I will post some pictures of it with the body off and look in the spare parts box and look at the "servo" my buddy said i had.
Is there any areas of the truck you want me to take specific pictures of as well?

There are lots of things that hint at what it is, or was. Even the trans color. Chassis, battery box, pretty much it.

I was thinking about what is the most important thing you need. A small paint brush to clean your car with. Between runs on mine, I always clean her up the best I can with a brush and look for loose screws. You are in the right place.