First Heli Crash... :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulC

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, here it is....

Too windy and tail troubles. Turns out to be a failing servo, think the position POT gear has a missing tooth causing it to twitch almost constantly now :(

I actually edited this one (fairly) properly too! A little humor with the music.

You'll see the heli start to kick the tail out (servo twitch) and I keep bringing it back, but it gets worse and worse and then during a period of high wind, it flicks sideways on me and then before I can recover goes round more and I lose it :(

Enjoy.

Repair cost:
Direct plastic replacements from HobbyKing = $20
Whole new heli kit from HobbyKing = $28
Offical Align Parts about $120.
Instead I bought a 450GT kit for $46.

I still have my 450 version two with metal head, the metal tail snapped through on Thursday after 2 flights. Gyro soldering failed also on Thursday. POS.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch. I thought I saw the tail twitching even before it left the ground. to much 'seeking' is usually a sign of too much gyro gain.

Ouch. I thought I saw the tail twitching even before it left the ground. to much 'seeking' is usually a sign of too much gyro gain.

The remote has the gyro gain knob under my right hand finger. So I can adjust it in flight. This taxes my little hand a little and generally accounts for the flapping around on the ground, not quite landed while I adjust, as I can't really do both well at the same time.

The issue was... Tail was "wandering" and "drifting in bursts" suggesting too little gain, but when I increased the gain the tail would "seek" or "wag". So it got to the point where too much gain was wagging and too little gain was... unflyable. I should have landed right there and fixed the issue or gone home.

Yup. Heli problems end up with a lot of down time. It's not like a nitro truck you can just stop, or even a plane you can glide in. These birds are picky, and when they misbehave, you need to get it on the ground before trying to figure out what the problem is.

Back