First build kit?? Decisions, decisions…help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P_almer4210

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I am having a really hard time deciding what build kit I want to be my first. I’ve been looking at the SCX10 iii, SCX10 ii, TRX4 Chassis Kit and the TRX4 Sport Kit. I kind of like the idea of having to add my own electronics. There are pros and cons to both and I know there’s some bias out there but some honest opinions would be awesome!

I think the TRX-4 (both types) are very beginner-friendly since most of the hard/frustrating parts are assembled for you (shocks, suspension links, micro servo cables, etc.), and all you have to do is to build the rest of the fun parts. I'm not sure about the SCX10 iii, but the SCX10 ii kit is much more involved, and the plastic Axial uses aren't very easy to work with (suspension link rod ends require quite a bit of strength to screw in, transmission housing screws are also hard to screw in), and the shocks have an issue with leaking oil. If you are interested in the SCX10 ii, the Element Enduro Builders Kit 2 is also a great option, since it offers a better value (much better shocks, smoother transmission, better plastics, overdrive capable transmission, IFS capable), and still has great aftermarket support.

For electronics, the Hobbywing 1080 ESC, Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport motor (21T 550 and 27T 540 are popular), generic 30kg from eBay or Amazon, and the FS GT5 radio are popular, affordable options.

I am having a really hard time deciding what build kit I want to be my first. I’ve been looking at the SCX10 iii, SCX10 ii, TRX4 Chassis Kit and the TRX4 Sport Kit. I kind of like the idea of having to add my own electronics. There are pros and cons to both and I know there’s some bias out there but some honest opinions would be awesome!
As said the 10.2 is more involved. I bought cheap $10 axial and rc4wd motors, 20t 27t, 35t, and 45t on the factory esc with 3s.

I just swapped to my second brushless, a castle copperhead 10 paired to a 2280kv. Huge improvement in control with the copperhead 10.

I also want a 10.3 and trx4 if that helps your decision. 😁🤣

I’m tempted to buy both… but I can’t afford a divorce. 😂😂

I would agree on the TRX4 kits being typically easier for a 1st build, and I personally would reccommend the 10ii over the 10iii (the 10ii is just a flat out better crawler), and the TRX4 Sport over the full kit (the lockers are cool and all, but for a 1st build it just adds more complexity that will likely not be used much until you get more driving experience under your belt).

Trx4 sport kit is great. Just built one myself. Took about two hours other than painting the body. Good instructions and well fit parts. Not to mention it performs excellent.

Whats up well I went with
I haven't even started it yet. I'm like the H/L and the lockers.. just like my 1.1 mud truck.. It should be a fun build.. every one says its got some of the best instruction and goes together easy... I love to build them. And i have quite a few..I've built them all except the X. And the Deadbolt. But might built the white 24 jeep. And have about 4-5 projects. I'm buying parts for now.. Don't over think it number one rule you can get lost In thought. Which ever one you think of first. Get it. You can always get another😉👍👍
16440929138662158011214851961167.jpg

I have 4 kits sitting here needing built. None of them have electronics, which is what they are all waiting on. To me, building an RC from a kit is a lot more fun. And it allows you to buy better electronics than the RTR cars come with.

Whats up well I went with
I haven't even started it yet. I'm like the H/L and the lockers.. just like my 1.1 mud truck.. It should be a fun build.. every one says its got some of the best instruction and goes together easy... I love to build them. And i have quite a few..I've built them all except the X. And the Deadbolt. But might built the white 24 jeep. And have about 4-5 projects. I'm buying parts for now.. Don't over think it number one rule you can get lost In thought. Which ever one you think of first. Get it. You can always get another😉👍👍View attachment 141512
Man, it would drive me nuts to have that rig and not assemble it already!

Oh, wait......I've still got a brand new Losi Mega Baja sitting in the box, for the past 10 years.
I'll get around to using it one of these days. 🤣

Back