Firestorm 10T has meeting with tree stump

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper2

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi All

After spending nearly a month repairing and bringing back to life a second hand Firestorm 10T, I took it to my local park for some fun, after about 10 minutes on a major sized field my truck stopped dead, I thought it had tangled up in some thick grass, but no, I just happened to hit a tree stump that was no bigger than 4 inches high.

I stopped the truck to assess the damage... Front bukhead snapped clean through. Sods law that I get the only tree stump in such a big area :angry:

I have ordered a new Front bukhead set online, but was wondering, where can I get a alloy set to replace this weak plactic bukhead, either in the U.K or the USA.

Help or suggestions appreciated

hopper2

the bulkhead might be ok to repalce with aluminum but don't get aluminum crazy with it. the nitro version has quite a but of aluminum and i had to repair one for a guy a few moths ago. he hit a curb and turned his truck into a wave instaed of just snapping a few plastic parts.

is this what you broke?
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86831/

I was hauling though a park at a nice speed and found a metal pole that was about the same height with my RC10T4. Tore the front A-arm and rim totally off....shock end came with it. I feel your pain my friend. I would say the part Savage found above would be a good bet.

the bulkhead might be ok to repalce with aluminum but don't get aluminum crazy with it. the nitro version has quite a but of aluminum and i had to repair one for a guy a few moths ago. he hit a curb and turned his truck into a wave instaed of just snapping a few plastic parts.

is this what you broke?
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86831/

The part that snapped was part no 10039 seen here on the HPI Europe site

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=100319

I really don't want to replace anything other than this part with alloy if I can help it. Unless of course you may have some suggestions for critical alloy parts... :)

hopper2

honestly i think you would be better off just replacing that with plastic. i have never been a big fan of aluminum bumpers. I think you will be replacing the chassis next time if you get that in aluminum. besides for what it costs (if you could find it in aluminum) i am sure you can get a few spares in plastic.

I was hauling though a park at a nice speed and found a metal pole that was about the same height with my RC10T4. Tore the front A-arm and rim totally off....shock end came with it. I feel your pain my friend. I would say the part Savage found above would be a good bet.

Hi frickenjoey

Yeah.. it was a bit heart rendering to see all the work (and mostly the waiting around for parts to arrive online) go out the window with one crunch.

I have actually just ordered the part "Savage" pointed out, as on closer inspection of the plastic part, it seems that the screws have been pulled part way out by the impact, so I figured that the part would be weakened by this.

Oh Well. More waiting for parts to arrive, it's all fun and learning all the way in this hobby :D

Cheers frickenjoey

hopper2

honestly i think you would be better off just replacing that with plastic. i have never been a big fan of aluminum bumpers. I think you will be replacing the chassis next time if you get that in aluminum. besides for what it costs (if you could find it in aluminum) i am sure you can get a few spares in plastic.

Hey Savage

I think that I will stick to the plastic bulkhed set and just replace the suspension mount that you pointed to (just ordered that part).

I can get 2 of the plastic bulkhead sets for the price of 1 at one of the hobby stores here in the UK (none of the LHS's within 30 miles of me stock HPI parts, so it's all online ordering), but at that price, I can replace these things quite cheaply.

Thank you for the help Savage. Appreciated

hopper2

awesome! post pictures when you get it all back together.

well....after a tangle with my garbage cans on my firestorm 10t... i had to replace suspension arms on the front. They are quite weak. If you get anything else alloy on your firestorm i recommend that you purchase suspension arms. The only other mod I've made to my own 10t is a 21tooth clutchbell just to increase the top end scream a little bit.

Jeff

well....after a tangle with my garbage cans on my firestorm 10t... i had to replace suspension arms on the front. They are quite weak. If you get anything else alloy on your firestorm i recommend that you purchase suspension arms. The only other mod I've made to my own 10t is a 21tooth clutchbell just to increase the top end scream a little bit.

Jeff

Hey Switch

The plastic parts arived yesterday, one thing I did notice about these, is, that they seem a little more flimsy than the parts that came on the truck, the original parts have thick central ridges to stiffen the plastic, the new ones have thin weedy looking ones that are a lot shorter.

The new parts are genuine HPI. It just worries me that HPI make spares of a lesser quality than the original :\

The first mod I made to the truck was to swap out the clutchbell to a 21 tooth, turned the truck into a Screemin demon alright.

Did you change both front and rear suspension arm sets to alloy?

Cheers

hopper2

yes, i swapped out both front susp. arms to alloy. Its well worth its weight in gold. I'm looking for alloy shocktowers atm. They work great for bashing. I built a few ramps for my cars so if you're like me i recommend getting them. Oh... and i forgot to mention, i wouldnt really consider it a mod but i dyed my tank orange :D

jeff

yes, i swapped out both front susp. arms to alloy. Its well worth its weight in gold. I'm looking for alloy shocktowers atm. They work great for bashing. I built a few ramps for my cars so if you're like me i recommend getting them. Oh... and i forgot to mention, i wouldnt really consider it a mod but i dyed my tank orange :D

jeff

A tank dyed orange, who would have thought of doing that, bet it looks cool :D Did you use rit dye? or some other formula? Have you got an orange heatsink head also?

I am getting too many crazy idea's. I like the inodised red look and have been trying to get a matching theme throughout the hop-ups on my truck, just having trouble finding suppliers at the moment, this idea started off with red body clips, red tubing etc.... Mmmmm red tank :hehe: going to see where I can go with that one...

Cheers Switch :thumbup:

hopper2

hahaha, yea i used rit dye. Actually red dye that messed up but turned out ok ^,^

that sounds like the time i ran my t-maxx into a rail road ty. took me 3 hours to replace the thing...anyways, u should try the HPI website. if not look around on google. I'm sure ul find something

Back