few basic questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTR4000

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First guys thanks for the great forum. I've signed up because I'm a total beginner to the nitro world and need help with some basic questions.

I just got my 1/8 ofna buggy but haven't done the break-in yet. Any ideas how I put the after-run oil into the engine though? Do I just remove the foam filter and put a few drops into the tube leading to the carb? :dumb:

And...any ideas how to prime the engine when I don't have a prime button (I've got a hyper 7 w/ starter box).

I'd appreciate your help guys.

thanks.

Matt

Welcome to RCNT and a great hobby.

After run oil...you can place it via the method you mentioned or you can remove the glo plug and drop a couple drops in through that hole. Just make sure the throttle is in the open position so the oil gets into the engine via the carb.

There are a couple of ways to prime an engine. The primer button method is always an easy one. The absence of a tank primer button leaves you with covering the exhaust port of your pipe while cycling the engine a couple times. If you like to live dangerously and enjoy the flavor of Nitro, you can unplug the pressure line from your pipe and blow in the end (not recommended as Nitro fuel is a cancer causing agent).

Others may add some ideas, but these should get you started.

Last edited:
I used to put ARO in the head also. I just didnt like all the dirt around the glow plug even with a shot of Nitro cleaner or Denatured alcohol and some compressed air. This is espically the case with off-road and is not so bad with on-road. There still is a chance of dirt getting in the engine. I was talking with Ed one day about the woes I was having with the After run procedure. He told me a trick that I really like and now have adopted. When your fuel tank is almost empty put a little ARO in the gas tank and let the oil be delivered to the engine this way. Then the oil even goes through a filter so no chance of dirt!

Originally posted by SkyMaxx

There are a couple of ways to prime an engine. The primer button method is always an easy one. The absence of a tank primer button leaves you with covering the exhaust port of your pipe while cycling the engine a couple times. If you like to live dangerously and enjoy the flavor of Nitro, you can unplug the pressure line from your pipe and blow in the end (not recommended as Nitro fuel is a cancer causing agent).

Another way to prime it is to pull the filter off and cover the carb with your finger.

You'll also wonder how to stop the engine. There's a few ways. You can disconnect the fuel line, put your finger over the exhaust, or pull the filter off and cover the carb.

thanks for the replies. I'll try your suggestions.

Welcome PTR...
Nitro is a blast, but it does have a learning curve. Hangout here, and you will find a wealth of knowledge, and some fun to boot. It won't be long until you will have knowledge to share with the rest of us. Just ask NoviceRob.

nd

The way I stop my engines is to just press my finger against the flywheel. At idle, these engines have very little torque and even a .21 can be stopped with just a finger. This can be a little scary at first so you can just push the handle of a screwdriver against the flywheel and this does the same thing. The benefit of this method is you do not flood or lean out the engine and restarting is a breeze.

Each person has their own method of doing so, this is just the one I prefer.

Originally posted by SkyMaxx

If you like to live dangerously and enjoy the flavor of Nitro, you can unplug the pressure line from your pipe and blow in the end (not recommended as Nitro fuel is a cancer causing agent).

Others may add some ideas, but these should get you started.

poop, I did that a couple of times. Am I gonna get cancer? I didnt even know that Nitro Fuel is a CCA. Damn, why doesn't it say that on the container?
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
I used to put ARO in the head also. I just didnt like all the dirt around the glow plug even with a shot of Nitro cleaner or Denatured alcohol and some compressed air. This is espically the case with off-road and is not so bad with on-road. There still is a chance of dirt getting in the engine. I was talking with Ed one day about the woes I was having with the After run procedure. He told me a trick that I really like and now have adopted. When your fuel tank is almost empty put a little ARO in the gas tank and let the oil be delivered to the engine this way. Then the oil even goes through a filter so no chance of dirt!
How many drops are you talking about, and add around a quarter of a tank? That sounds like a very good idea!!!

I was wondering about that tip also, putting ARO through your tank. About how many drops and how full should the tank be?

I wait until there is just a little fuel in the corner then drop 3-4 drops in. Ed should really step in as it was his idea and I just started doing it. Am I doing it the way you do Ed?

There are several ways to stop the engine.

1. Pinch the fuel pick up line, it should die within 3 seconds.

2. Cover the exhaust pipe hole. Be careful though it gets hot and you flood your engine.

3. Stop the flywheel from under the buggy. This is probably the best way. If you're scared to do it with your finger, you can use the tip of your shoe or bottom of a screwdriver.

Have fun and enjoy.

or you could unscrew the glow plug..hehe...but i've never seen or heard of anyone doing it

I've also heard of plugging the intake of air, if you have one of those gay lil foam dot's. On a stock rs4 rtr3 its easy to stop the engine. Dont do this one if you have wet, dirty , or muddy hands.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Back