Farewell nitro dreams......

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith

Dirt Oval Addict!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have to start by saying I am fortunate that area I live in the South has a huge race following. Off road is big, dirt oval is HUGE! Imagine that in Dixie Land! I'm just returning to the there scene this year and absolutely love being back! ( insert appreciated applause )
I am an old nitro guy. The sound, the smell, ahhhhh.....But, here, nitro has become a wayside attraction. Only a few of us left. Even less at the tracks. I'm going to build both a 1/10 and 1/8 racer this winter, but going to have to go electric just to "fit in" at the tracks. Sad. Don't get me wrong, I have two extremely fun brushless/lipo machines that I love. It's just nitro is my thing. I'll keep my beloved fuel burners to play and bash with, but for me to race....
it's farewell to nitro. Going to miss you old friend. We had a good run. No, don't make this hard. It is what it is. Just remember the great times we had. No one can take that from us....:\

there is still a huge nitro following at my local track, there was about 40 of us at the last race.

i was the only one at the local bashing get together and then another guy got the fever then another until there are more nitros then electric . i say its because electric = boring. i think its the fun of fixing 6 different systems too work in unison . steering throttle breaks motor transmission and drive train. and then you have the sound and smell . i can't get enough of it if i find 5 min i will run mine . i go trough a good bit of nitro but its worth it to keep my sanity ALL HAIL NITRO

I disagree about electric being boring, I'm about 50/50 on brushless vs nitro, and with electric you still have the same systems working, the sound and smell is nice to some people, but others hate it. some people like the idea of plugging the battry in and being able to jump right on the track and race, where with nitro, you have to make sure the engine is warm, and your tune is correct, so it takes about 2-4 laps to get the nitrowarmed up before you can check your temps, to each his own.

Last edited:
At our local bashing track I just muscle my way in with the BL/Lipo rigs with my nitro rigs.
It doesn’t take them long to learn to move over or get pushed aside.;)

:tank:

Electric is boring? Since when is having enough power on tap to pull 30mph + wheelies boring? If you like nitros, then that's cool, I think they both have their place in RC, but modern electric rigs are far from being boring.

Sorry to hear that--but why would you switch just to fit in? If you like nitro--then bring it! ;-)

1/8 Nitro Racing is KING at our track. Even if it were not, and I was the only one driving nitro---that is what I'd roll with. For me, that is what it's about...running what you love. If they don't have a nitro class, will they not allow you to run nitro in the electric class?

Give me nitro or give me death! :)

Hail to nitro baby. It's nitro or nothing for me to. I had a SC10 with a brushless setup, not trying to offend anyone, but also kinda found it boring. I traded it off for 2 nitro rigs. It's kinda funny my neighbors all come out every time I fire up my nitro rigs and love every minute of it. My bro brought his brushless traxxas stampede over to run one evening, my neighbor and his kids came out to watch and made the same comment that the electric is kinda boring.

This is the same as the Ford vs Chevy Debate, it will be argued until the end of time and it will never be settled.

never ran an electric and can't really say I've ran nitro... lol but honestly, as much as I get frustrated and passed because of still not getting it tuned right and all the stuff I had to fix, it's been so fun for me and I'm learning while having fun, and when I'm actually running it.... ill be in heaven
that'd one thing you can't get out of electric

This is the same as the Ford vs Chevy Debate, it will be argued until the end of time and it will never be settled.

True, the cool part is, there are no losers. Everybody has great choices to fill their lil hearts desires.

You will find nitro-heads (of which I am one) to be MUCH more fervent about nitro. I also find a lot of electric guys to be a bit defensive about it.

Nitro is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. This is not to dismiss electric at all. I am fully aware and respectful of the fact that this hobby's roots are embedded in electronics. Of course some might say electric has no soul compared to nitro.

I just believe that you should run what YOU like (not what others think). That is what the hobby is all about. Enjoying what YOU want. Being creative with what YOU have.

Yes, nitro is challenging and there is a learning curve. That is what makes it a hobby.

Last edited:
Well......that was greatly misunderstood. I'm keeping my nitros, just building some electrics to race because that what everyone races. Thanks for the input guys.

I just believe that you should run what YOU like (not what others think). That is what the hobby is all about. Enjoying what YOU want. Being creative with what YOU have.

Well said, I'd probably still run some nitro rigs if fuel wasn't so expensive here (I know you can order it online by the case fairly cheap BTW). Not to mention, no nitro class to race in either. Electric is just easier to go out and bash around the house with also.

Thats sad to hear. I'm relatively new to the hobby and it would be so easy for me to just go electric and avoid all the nitro issues but thats just no fun. I'm lucky that there is a huge nitro following at my local club. I think there's only 1 or 2 guys that run electric at my club with about 30 nitro guys. Its just way more fun.
Tell all those electric guys to stop being lazy and go nitro. Its way more headaches and disappointments but thats what makes it so satisfying when you get them running right.

There's something to be said for both sides. We wouldn't have crawling and most scalers without electric, but a lot of the new guys in the hobby have gone electric for the 'plug & play' aspect.
Nitro is what made the racing fast and exciting before there was brushless. Even in real auto racing, it's the driver that looks good at the finish, but where would he be without the pit crew and the guys that build and tune. THAT'S the joy of nitro, something you can't get with electric.

nice one Rolex. Well said.

Hell yeah...tuning is what it's ALL about. For folks that like that (and I am a card-carrying nitro head)---NITRO RULES. ;-)

Back