Falls on face at WOT from dead stop

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray8503

RC Newbie
Reaction score
This is my second tmaxx and I'm having trouble getting it dialed in. It runs really good except from dead stop. From a stop when I give it full throttle it bogs and sputters a second then takes off. I'm guessing its my low side needle but have messed with it with no change. Also after high speed run when I let off it down shifts hard really fast. What do I need to do to fix that?

Before you try making any adjustments it needs to be up to proper temperature. Lean the LSN just a little at a time. See it as a clock and don't move it more than an hour. drive it slowly, then accelerate it till it clears out. Bring it to a stop and give it full throttle.
Did it seem to improve even a little bit? If so, do the same thing again till you get a good response off the line.
Once you have that, if it starts to run rough as it picks up speed it needs the same treatment on the HSN.

I've been trying that with no real change. How about the hard down shift after I let off the throttle? It down shifts hard enough it will raise back wheels off the ground.

Its brand new. Hope it don't have a air leak.

You need to check the whole system. It could be something as simple as a fuel cover that doesn't seal completely or a loose gasket on the exhaust manifold. It's all part of the pressure needed to keep the fuel flowing properly.
Make sure the cooling head is snug and the same for the glow plug.

I would do as Rolex suggested and give it a through once over, then put the needles back to 4 & flush & a 1mm idle gap, then tune from there.

the 6 million dollar question is ,has it been broken in properly??
an airleak is possible from the factory ,trust me I've been there .I would suggest resetting your needles and using the tuning flow chat on this very website.
from what I can gather it I too lean on the lsn causing hesitation ,the fatten it up an hour at a time and see if there is an improvement if not reset and start again.

Got it now. Leaned the low side out about a quarter turn. Runs great now.

Good you hear you have it up and running.

from what I can gather it I too lean on the lsn causing hesitation ,the fatten it up an hour at a time and see if there is an improvement if not reset and start again.
@chickenman242 Too lean causes it to quit instantly. Too rich causes it to bog, the way he described it.

The problem with advising people from the other side of the world is without being there its hard to accurately advise what you mean ,to one person it could be a lean bog but to another person it could be a rich bog ,either way I'm glad its running good.
I would rather be wrong and tell you to fatten it than be wrong and tell you to lean it and kill your engine if that all makes sense :)

couldn't bring my dingo but , maybe a holiday....

that's a serious problem you got your self there mate....

Yes a leaking dingy can be a verry serious problem indeed!

Back