Failsafe without battery pack?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glass Bullet

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I want to get a failsafe for my car, but it says they must be used with a battery pack (such as a 5 cell rechargeable one). The thing is, i don't have one of those. I just have the 4 AA's to power the receiver. Will the failsafe still work, or is the battery pack required?

I had nothing but problems when I tried this with a Duratrax failsafe with 4AA nimh batteries. I just use a freshly charged set every run, and take my chances.

you can use it, but it may be finiky.. the voltage for 4 AA's will drop pretty fast. and if you use 4 Aa rechargeable ones, they start out kinda low. the failsafe may kick in early.

I use one with the hump pack on sav.25 and 4aa's w/ nitro rustler and have no problems with either

I use one with the hump pack on sav.25 and 4aa's w/ nitro rustler and have no problems with either

does the rusty's failsafe kick in earlier than the one on the savage?

ok thanks. i don't want to buy a battery and charger and all that so i think i'm just gonna go with 4 AAs

I removed the optidrive and installed an OFNA failsafe in my 4909

I am running rechargeable kodak NIMH batteris ( 4 AA ) love it.

I use 4 AA's and failsafes in all 3 of my nitros with no problems at all

I didn't even notice this thread was months old until just now, sorry.

I use 4 AA's and failsafes in all 3 of my nitros with no problems at all

I didn't even notice this thread was months old until just now, sorry.

Can you tell us what brand of failsafe you use?

All I can tell you is that I got it off of ebay and I paid $9. It did come from Japan but I got it in 10 working days. I have been using it for 2 months now with no problems.

yep I got that one too. Although, I think one of the plugs come loose at the track the other day and it went WOT. I still had steering so I held a doughnut and shut if off. When I got home I taped up the connection so I should be good

get one 4 cell or 5 cell packs and get the futaba micro failsafe. I think its 18 bucks @ amain