EZstarter stripping

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tape

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
when I try starting the Revo the starter sounds like the gears are stripping. The motor will turn over for 1/2 a second then it skips then it catches and continues like that. I broke down the starter and the gears are fine, does the one-way bearing ever go bad? I looked at the needle bearings and they look fine as well. Anyone ever have this issue?

Well I noticed the motor shaft was shining like a mirror so having a little experience in things I took some sandpaper and sanded it dull and oiled the needle bearings inside of the oneway bearing and it works perfect now.

Just a thought, I have a 6-7 yr old 2.5 Nitro Rustler and have never had any issues with the motor or any parts that make the thing go, I only replaced 1 glow plug in it and never anything connected to the transmission. I have replaced several rear stub axle carriers, front and rear shock towers, the rear one 3 times. Front Caster Blocks/C-Hubs twice. I just ordered the aluminum rear stub axle carriers to see if they will hold out better than the plastic ones but other than that I could not ask anything from that Rustler. The drivetrain is definitely stronger on the Revo but it seems I have already replaced more parts for instance, I have replaced about 7 glow plugs and I haven't had it 6 months yet.

Last edited:
Just a thought, I don't own anything but the 3.3's... It seems that the 3.3 would be a lot more demanding as it's higher power etc. As I understand it, the 3.3 is a warmed over 2.5 in many ways. Traxxas seems to have pushed the limits of this design. I have been very lucky with my rigs in that I haven't had to replace much at all... Everything I have had to do has been directly related to driver stupidity.

DSC_0002.JPG
This is what driver stupidity has lead to my Rustler being now, I plan on installing the 3.3 engine from the Revo to the Rustler when I decide which engine to put in the Revo, the rear tires do put a strain on the little 2.5 but I believe the 3.3 will make up for that.

I would Def be thinking about stressing drivetrain parts with tires as tall as those. But if that doesn't bother you too much, it does look like it would be fun to rip up some dirt with!!!

One thing is that it doesn't instantly do donuts when I gun the trigger, it actually takes off straight. Not too worried about drivetrain, I have not spent much on this Rustler in the past 7 yrs so it's still within its parts limit.

Lol! Instant donuts are just good practice for a car that hooks up!