EZ Start won't crank my new Picco .21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevy-SS

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a 2.5 T-Maxx with the EZ start and I just got the new Picco .21 drop-in motor. The motor went in fairly well, although it is a tight fit. Plus, the one-way starter bearing was rubbing the back of the block. I had to modify the starter assembly for clearance.

The EZ Start automatically cuts off the starter motor power when I try to crank over the Picco .21. As most (if not all) of you know, the EZ Start has a built-in power cutoff that shuts off power to the starter motor if it detects a certain level of resistance during cranking. It's a good feature (for a newbie maybe) but I wish it wasn't there as it won't let me have enough power to crank the new, larger motor.

Does anyone know a way to bypass the power cutoff circuit in the starter assembly? I would like to simply get full battery power going to the starter when I push the damn button.

Oh, I ain't getting no pull-start, so don't nobody bust my chops about getting one. :boxing:

Last edited:
You're probably gonna have to put the PS back on the engine till you get it broken in some. I think bypassing the safety feature on the ez-start would be a bad idea. Most likely what would happen is either the starter motor will burn out, or the battery unit will melt. After the mill has loosened up some, it might work fine without modifying the ez-start.

Try warming the engine up with a heat gun to 200° F. That expands the sleeve and lets it spin over easier. You can also loosen the glow plug 1/4 turn, then tighten it after it starts.

Thats what I did when I got my new motor. Unloosen the glow plug just a little then crank it with the ez start, should take care of the problem.

yup yup all the above are good ways to start. The ez start may be a good methon but have you tried to use the rotostart? Or even the Yank Eliminator? Pull starts usually are the best route to go but my forearm begs to differ.Lol. I used a blow dryer to warm up the head and then try to start.

BTW is that the Picco P2 .21?

When I dropped my Sirio into my generation 1 Maxx, the EZ-Start 2 I had purchased wouldn't crank it over, either.

Since I still had the original EZ-Start 1 from the original kit (small box you just plug the battery into, and a long connection for the plug on the truck), I tried it, and it worked. The original EZStart doesn't have their new "failsafe" stuff in it, so it seems to deliver more juice to the starter motor. If you can find one, you may want to try it. It would even typically overcome the occasional hydrolock situations after flooding.

Good ideas. Thanks all. I got it to work by carefully cleaning the starter motor (brushes and commutator) and all the gears. The EZ start will now rotate over the .21. Although, I really like the idea about using one of the original style EZ starts that simply feeds all the juice to the starter motor.

jon2, yes it is the new P2 Picco "mid-block" .21 drop-in motor. I had it running for one tank of fuel so far, very gently. It got up to 210 degrees rather quickly and it kept stalling, but that should clear up as I tune it and continue break-in.

Chevy-SS, keep us posted on how she performs after you break her in. I am leaning towards getting one myself, as I am sure others are too. I just want to get a few reviews on it before I make my purchase.

Did you get the Werks Version or the OFNA Version?

Thanks....

I did not know there were two versions. I got mine from Werks Racing. Here's a picture of the box and a pic of it installed. I'll let ya all know how it runs.

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Last edited:
Another thing you can do to avoid having power robbed is use a seperate glow ignitor. It isn't a bad idea to do anyway. That way the plug gets nice and hot before fuel comes flying in.

Hey Chevy-SS - Nice engine dude, I hope you've got some cash to invest in driveline and tranny upgrades.hehe. Let us know how it works out for ya.

NitroBoy, I am hoping it DOES break everything, LOL. I'll be disappointed if something doesn't break, although a buddy of mine has a supercharged Dynamite .26 motor in his T-Maxx with all stock drive-train, except for FOC. His Maxx is really throwing some gravel and we can't believe how the plastic parts are holding up. It's amazing.

I've run a few more tanks of fuel through the P2 Picco and it now runs as smooth as silk, no stalling, temps at about 190 to 200. Still taking it easy.

I hope this thing has some power. I have two EK4's and I'll tell ya, you can't beat the .70 engine for raw low-end grunt power. If this P2 Picco T-Maxx is anything close to the EK4's, I'll be happy.

What pipe you running? I'm sure the stock pipe really cuts off air flow for that monster. Get something like a sirio bb or .21 pipe and I'm sure youll get tons of more power.

Back