ESC for 12V motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty69

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m Looking for a RC ESC for a 12V, brushed, 45lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor.
Can I get some help with how to figure out what type and size of ESC I need. I’m currently running this motor fishing kayak and would like to make it remote controlled.

Not aware of any hobby grade controllers that can handle full scale electronics, I would join a robotics group and use one of their controllers

Thanks bill. That’s a great idea. I started here because that’s where my experience took me, probably is I got my experience 35 years ago and thing have changed a bit since then. LOL.

45lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor

If it's similar to this motor, rated for 42A max... You might get away with a dirt-cheap "1060" ESC, rated for 60A continuous, worst case you're out $20 when it pops.

RC boat ESC's take advantage of their marine application by having water cooling routed from a scoop behind the propeller, something like this water-cooled, brushed ESC might be especially useful to you.

If it's similar to this motor, rated for 42A max... You might get away with a dirt-cheap "1060" ESC, rated for 60A continuous, worst case you're out $20 when it pops.

RC boat ESC's take advantage of their marine application by having water cooling routed from a scoop behind the propeller, something like this water-cooled, brushed ESC might be especially useful to you.

Hmm, that's a good point, I was guessing that those trolling motors would pull more power than that. There's actually a larger brushed controller for 1/8 cars that is rated for 80A on 4S here:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/quicrun-brushed-system/products/quicrun-880

I found a guy who used that ESC I linked above and it works for him here:

Last edited: