Engine tuning???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Monk

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
:n00bie: Can't suz out this tuning lark, and i know it's the most important part to running a nitro. Just spent the last couple of hrs trying to get tuning perfect just as i think i've got it running sweat the engine will hold back or just cut out, using a temp gun making sure i dont go over 250/110. Then after cutting out wont start for a good 5/10 min of turning over when does start cuts out after 5sec????

Idle screw doesn't appear to do anything no matter which way i turn it?

Beginning to get the impression it's easier to crack a safe than it is to tune one of these things!!!!

Also do you have to run fuel tank empty before calling it a day??

have you tryied adjusting your high-speed needle that help's the car to have less fuel in the engine, and have you read or watch the setups for tuning your car??

what car do you have because i might be able to help you there?

:n00bie: Can't suz out this tuning lark, and i know it's the most important part to running a nitro. Just spent the last couple of hrs trying to get tuning perfect just as i think i've got it running sweat the engine will hold back or just cut out, using a temp gun making sure i dont go over 250/110. Then after cutting out wont start for a good 5/10 min of turning over when does start cuts out after 5sec????

Idle screw doesn't appear to do anything no matter which way i turn it?

Beginning to get the impression it's easier to crack a safe than it is to tune one of these things!!!!

Also do you have to run fuel tank empty before calling it a day??

what engine, plug, gas????

LST2 run in according to instructions!!! since running in just haven't managed to get it running 100% running stock mach engine on 20% blue thunder been adjusting high and low settings in 1hr Increments as in handbook just as i think i've got it engine running as it should will cut out and then wont start!!!! Have seen some video links of people tuning truck on blocks, wheels suspended of ground does this damage truck?

hi I'm a noob let me throw my only 2 cents out there : ) yes you should remove all fuel out of your rc before putting away and run motor for a few seconds to burn out what ever fuel is left then lube with oil at your intake when you remove your air filter

how many gallons of fuel have you ran through it?
does it cut out while it is in motion?

On a mach eng. yes run the fuel out then add a few drops of after run oil in the carb. and the glow plug hole then turn it over a few times then make sure your piston is at the bottom. If you follow them steps you should have a good life out of your eng.

how many gallons of fuel have you ran through it?
does it cut out while it is in motion?

On a mach eng. yes run the fuel out then add a few drops of after run oil in the carb. and the glow plug hole then turn it over a few times then make sure your piston is at the bottom. If you follow them steps you should have a good life out of your eng.

Sorted the cuttting out, realized only cut out when releasing accelerator, engine was set up to run idle when accelerator was slightly open soon as brakes put on accelerator shut completely so engine kept cutting out!!!!

However now i have a problem with the idling, whilst idling idle speed will slowly pick up faster/faster/faster until screeming, and car and wants to shoot off, have to put finger over exhaust to cut out engine.....

What does after run oil do???

Reset the carb to factory settings. Start the motor ,get it up to temp 190 to 200. Start with the H end needle,lean it out in 1/8th incoments, Remeber each time you make an adjustment it will take the engine a sec for it to take, so run it down the road and back. do these 1/8 tune adjustments till you get to that sweet spot(good mid and top end,temp and nice trail of smoke) temps should be anywhere between 220 to 260 f.
When your done with the H side needle move to the low end, Use 1/16th turns,small turns. as befor run down the road and back because the adjustments are not instant. Do this till launches off the line. this is your low end power.
if you have not messed with the idal adjustment iot should be fine. If you have there should be a 1 mm gap between the carb barrle and the houseing.
if its idaling low or high adjust as needed.
Turn the radio on and the reciver,take the air cleaner off, see if the barrle on the carb is fully closeing and opening. with the radio on and truck reciver on and your not tuching the radio look at the barrle, now pick the radio up and apply the brake, the barrle in the carb should not move, if it does close even more, you will need to adjust the linkage or radio settings. its eather the motor not being tuned rite that makes it stall or this,youll have to idal it up a bit if this is the prob. hope this might help you maybe some one else could add to this as there are a lot of good people here.

Reset the carb to factory settings. Start the motor ,get it up to temp 190 to 200. Start with the H end needle,lean it out in 1/8th incoments, Remeber each time you make an adjustment it will take the engine a sec for it to take, so run it down the road and back. do these 1/8 tune adjustments till you get to that sweet spot(good mid and top end,temp and nice trail of smoke) temps should be anywhere between 220 to 260 f.
When your done with the H side needle move to the low end, Use 1/16th turns,small turns. as befor run down the road and back because the adjustments are not instant. Do this till launches off the line. this is your low end power.
if you have not messed with the idal adjustment iot should be fine. If you have there should be a 1 mm gap between the carb barrle and the houseing.
if its idaling low or high adjust as needed.
Turn the radio on and the reciver,take the air cleaner off, see if the barrle on the carb is fully closeing and opening. with the radio on and truck reciver on and your not tuching the radio look at the barrle, now pick the radio up and apply the brake, the barrle in the carb should not move, if it does close even more, you will need to adjust the linkage or radio settings. its eather the motor not being tuned rite that makes it stall or this,youll have to idal it up a bit if this is the prob. hope this might help you maybe some one else could add to this as there are a lot of good people here.

Thanx for the help!!! i really appreciate it, will let you know how i get on!!!:dance:

Also, with the LST2 having multiple servo's, it will drain the pack in a shorter time than most. When your idle was creeping up, did you notice the throttle servo moving on you? Sometimes that happens when the batteries go dead.

there are so many things we could second guess at but with out the car in front of us it is hard to find out where the problem is at.

Back