Engine Tuning - Calculation Based Setup Sheet

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo_R

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, Folks;

I developed a nitro engine tuning setup sheet for high and low speed needle settings a function of temperature, atmospheric pressure, and humidity. ESPECIALLY TO NOT LOSE TRACK AS TO WHERE THE NEEDLES ARE POSITIONED.

Way it works........ From baseline nitro engine OEM HSN/LSN settings - in addition to following tried and trued engine tuning techniques (considering all tuning aspects such as Nitro content in fuel, oil content in fuel, glow plug type, etc.):

a) Record weather temp (F or C), pressure (in-Hg), relative humidity (% of sat vapor pressure at the curren temperature) - then Calculate ACTUAL AIR Pressure (this will backout any component of humidity).
b) Consider current air pressure (air has fixed % of O2 ex humidity) - then use this as part of your tuning exercises.
c) Record the current (or updated) HSN and LSN settings at the optimal tune point as a function of the actual air pressure (ex humidity).

If you put your model up over the winter, in storage, etc... your tracking sheet will have the Needle Settings and the associated climatic aspects at the time of the last run so you will not get 'lost' in terms of your needle positions.

While the Pros and others will for sure have a similar tool, you may very well get use out of this setup sheet - newbie or experienced. So I figured I share my tool with the community @ large.

Cheers, Revo R. a

Last edited:
It certainly beats scribbling needle settings on my chassis plate with a Sharpie.
Nice work. :thumbup:

Updated Nitro Engine Tuning Sheet

Gents,

I've updated the previous version of the tuning sheet to correct a fat finger error that messed up the reference table values and to focus the tuning adjustments on dry air density instead of pressure ... This is a tool that I use, but figured I share to the community at large for use or not.

Cheers

Attachments

• Nitro Engine - Tuning Sheet.pdf
    446.8 KB · Views: 736