Engine revs, Buggy doesn't move

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrc10

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi i have the following buggy. The issue is that, the engine starts fine but when i put the buggy on the ground it doesn't even move.

Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR buggy with 350 engine
2 shoe clutch

• Checked the diffs and tranny- the car free rolls without any problem.
  • It moves only slightly at full throttle (gunning it)- thats also only very slowly.
  • Checked the brakes- no problem

I checked the clutch shoes and filed them down to smooth, but still the problem exists.

Do you think its the clutch or some other part thats causing the issue?

Thanks for the help

Might be easier if you put up a photo of your clutch when you had the bell off.

Where does the power stop when revving the engine?
Does the flywheel spin?
Does the CB spin?
Does the center spur spin?
Do either or both of the center axles spin?
Do any of the four outer axles spin?
Do you see the hex nut spinning on any of the wheels?

Might be easier if you put up a photo of your clutch when you had the bell off.

Where does the power stop when revving the engine?
Does the flywheel spin?
Does the CB spin?
Does the center spur spin?
Do either or both of the center axles spin?
Do any of the four outer axles spin?
Do you see the hex nut spinning on any of the wheels?
I will put a image shortly if possible

Power doesn't stop per se. I can rev the engine to full throttle. But the car doesn't move
Yes the flywheel spins
Spur spins only if i gun the throttle. doesn't move at slow throttle.
All the axles spin
Outer axles are fine
Nope i tighten the hex nuts

what is CB btw?

I checked the clutch shoes and filed them down to smooth, but still the problem exists.
Thanks for the help

When you say "filed them down to smooth", do you mean filing the burrs off of aluminum shoes?
If you're using carbon shoes there shouldn't be any filing required.

Your clutch spring should be recessed in the shoes like this:
clutch.jpg

If the spring is exposed most likely you need to replace them, (and the clutch bell bearings while you're at it)

When you say "filed them down to smooth", do you mean filing the burrs off of aluminum shoes?
If you're using carbon shoes there shouldn't be any filing required.

Your clutch spring should be recessed in the shoes like this:
View attachment 17522

If the spring is exposed most likely you need to replace them, (and the clutch bell bearings while you're at it)
I filed them down because they were like mushroomed from the edges. They are aluminium clutch shoes.

I will put a image shortly if possible

Power doesn't stop per se. I can rev the engine to full throttle. But the car doesn't move
Yes the flywheel spins
Spur spins only if i gun the throttle. doesn't move at slow throttle.
All the axles spin
Outer axles are fine
Nope i tighten the hex nuts

what is CB btw?

In all of those, when I said spin, I meant when your giving it enough throttle that it should move. Not that they spin by hand. CB is clutch bell.

In all of those, when I said spin, I meant when your giving it enough throttle that it should move. Not that they spin by hand. CB is clutch bell.
Ok sorry. In that case non of them spin when giving throttle. i have to gun the throttle for them to spin. at low speeds they dont move even the CB and spur.

If everything is functions properly like you say, It leads me believe you have a clutch issue of some sort.. Damaged springs, worn shoes, etc
If you could post pics of what you have that would help.

If everything is functions properly like you say, It leads me believe you have a clutch issue of some sort.. Damaged springs, worn shoes, etc
If you could post pics of what you have that would help.
Here are some pics. hope it is clear enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 287
those clutch shoes don't look so hot. and they look like either the wrong shoes or half missing

those clutch shoes don't look so hot. and they look like either the wrong shoes or half missing
They are the ones that came out of the box for the 2.0 RTR. i haven't done any changes

apologies. I'm not familiar with that model. But they look well worn. I'd probably replace them and see if it helps.

apologies. I'm not familiar with that model. But they look well worn. I'd probably replace them and see if it helps.
No worries. Yup i might just do that and check

That is supposed to be a 4 shoe clutch.
Just as the JVD clutch i use on my Savage.. http://jvd-rc.com/

If there are only 2 shoes mounted it will not work properly. So i suggest you order yourself a set of 4 shoes and mount them.

One other thing, My JVD flywheel has 4 pins but you use 2 bolts. Where are the pins ?
I guess u bought the buggy used? Did the previous owner use a different clutch he didn't sell you with the buggy?

Check this manual, First page (setup sheet) says it all..
2 Composite with Green Springs 2 Aluminum with Gold Springs Aluminum Flywheel
http://www.Losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/8ight2Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Thought that
That is supposed to be a 4 shoe clutch.
Just as the JVD clutch i use on my Savage.. http://jvd-rc.com/

If there are only 2 shoes mounted it will not work properly. So i suggest you order yourself a set of 4 shoes and mount them.

One other thing, My JVD flywheel has 4 pins but you use 2 bolts. Where are the pins ?
I guess u bought the buggy used? Did the previous owner use a different clutch he didn't sell you with the buggy?

Check this manual, First page (setup sheet) says it all..
2 Composite with Green Springs 2 Aluminum with Gold Springs Aluminum Flywheel
http://www.Losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/8ight2Manual.pdf

I thought that looked kind of weird. Seemed like very short shoes for a 2-shoe. The manual shows them as screw/pins. 3-4 threads under the screw head with the rest just as a pin. Also shows that 2 shoes are composite, 2 are alloy.
2016-0307-Losi8ight2-clutchInstall.jpg

Ah, that's an assembly i never seen before.
Just saw the first page and that was enough info for me.. Didn't check the rest.. :) :)

Kinda interesting having aluminum AND composite shoes.

Kinda interesting having aluminum AND composite shoes.
It's just one more thing you can tune. Adds a little more slip than all aluminum, but a little less than composite. For me, as a basher, I'd just go all aluminum, use the same weight springs and call it a day.

I'm late to the party but your shoes do look worn- and, oddly, as others have pointed out- two are missing...

Last edited:
Back