Engine rebuild tools

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

09KneeDragger

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm rebuilding my dynamite .21 sport and was wondering if there was any special tools needed to pull out the brass piston sleeve and the piston and the retaining pin for the piston and if there is a specific tool used to pull the front and rear bearings out.. thanks brothers.. happy bashing

Not really, but be careful- you could use a bearing remover, or just heat up the engine. One thing that would come in handy is a flywheel puller though :)

@ninnon I already have a heat gun and a small pulley puller that I use for car engines.. just wasn't sure if there was any other tools used to remove these items that are pressed in.. thanks for the help brother this forum is awesome...

An oven and a hopefully very understanding wife. The best way for me used to be strip it down to the block with the bearings still in it and throw it in the oven for a bit just don't let the bearings get hot or they will expand also. It has been several years since I rebuilt one so I can't even remember the temps or the time.

@ninnon I already have a heat gun and a small pulley puller that I use for car engines.. just wasn't sure if there was any other tools used to remove these items that are pressed in.. thanks for the help brother this forum is awesome...
I haven't taken many engines apart, so some other members may be able to give you some advice on tips and tricks on how to get the difficult bits back together. Other than that, be careful, pliers, a screwdriver and some hex keys and you should be good to go. :)
As for the forum, feel free to post any other RC issues your having and we'll be sure to help you out :)

An oven and a hopefully very understanding wife. The best way for me used to be strip it down to the block with the bearings still in it and throw it in the oven for a bit just don't let the bearings get hot or they will expand also. It has been several years since I rebuilt one so I can't even remember the temps or the time.
He said he had a heat gun which should do the trick, but an oven would be probably be best.

True but with the oven you get a more even heat a heat gun will suffice if the oven is not available.

The wifey is fine with me baking car parts.. she lets me bake gun parts all the time lol when I froglube them :p

I usually just stick a ziptie down in the exhaust port and use the piston to push the sleeve out before I take off the flywheel.

That said, you may just want to replace the engine. By the time you replace the bearings, sleeve, piston, con-rod and carb o-rings, your usually close to the cost of a new engine. Unless it's a $300+ engine.