Engine options, not many.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Unfortunately not too thrilled with my HPI Bullet. It does run well and starts up pretty quick, but the engine doesn’t have the power for off-road I’m looking for. It’s also a pita to get a decent tune, unlike my Losi 8ight, which was a breeze to get a nice tune on.
Anyway I was looking around for an engine to swap and it doesn’t seem there are many options for a .18 engine. Or I’m just not looking in the right places lol
What would you recommend I swap the G3.0 out for?
Is there an engine mount that can mount a .21 engine on a bottom plate drilled for .18?

Is there an engine mount that can mount a .21 engine on a bottom plate drilled for .18?

If you hate having money. Yes. The OS21TM drop in mid-block for the revo/t-maxx. Costs a pretty penny though. Performs and tunes a lot better than the traxxas 3.3 (which is a .20 I think). However, the RPM's the 3.3 is capable of would probably give you a boost in performance on a single speed truck. I'll never run a traxxas engine again though. Just never had good luck with them and even when they ran well, they didn't perform worth a hill of beans in a MT. The 2.5R did fine in my jato though. Was just fussy to tune.

There used to be quite a few .18's around, but they just don't exist anymore. Could maybe wait for LRP to come back. I've had or witnessed quite a few LRP28's, 30's and 32's and they are great engines. They had a side exhaust 18 that would probably be pretty good.

With the BOOM of brushless and lipo, nitro seems to have dropped off the map the past 5 years or so.