Engine Dies - Tuning Issue/Flowchart Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Vols

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Newbie trying to tune an engine. Started at factory specs. I'm trying to follow the Tuning Flowchart. I've got my engine idling for 1 min+. I can drive it carefully b/t 1/4 to maybe 1/2 throttle for a minute or two. Decent smoke and sputtering some fule. If I give it too much gas it dies. I have not tried to goose it or "accelerate at full throttle". I am pretty confindent it will die when I do.

I am struggling to figure out if this is HSN issue? and if so whether it is running lean or rich? The next step in the chart is "Accelerate at full throttle" "Does engine suddenly die or lose power?" Yes = adjust HSN ccw 1/8 turn (rich), NO = "Does engine suddenly bog or die?" Yes = adjust HSN cw 1/8 turn (lean). What is the difference b/t "Does engine suddenly die or lose power?" and "Does engine suddenly bog or die?" Sounds same to me, but they call for the opposite change to the HSN.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Bogging = engine sputtering Then dying out. = Usually too rich (Can also be too lean)

Engine Suddenly dying at high (or low) RPM, Usually too lean.

Sputtering fuel ? as in kicking excess oil out of the exhaust ? too rich !

So do you think this probably a HSN issue?

No, right now it's the LSN that needs to be leaned out.
Lean the HSN by 1/8th of a turn, then start to lean the LSN till you get a better takeoff. The LSN and the idle adjustment determine how it will idle and take off. Don't tune if for top response, yet, but just enough to get it rolling nicely and up to speed. As the break in continues you can start to adjust both needles for performance.

Thanks guys!

Rolex, I still have the question regarding the chart if you can clarify.

Yes factory settings are always rich so just lean your low speed needle in 1/8 turn incraments like rolex said.

Sorry, missed that. Suddenly quitting when you throttle it is usually a sign that it's too lean and starved for fuel. Bogging (you can usually bring it back to life by letting off the throttle quickly) before dying usually means it's too rich, and flooding.

Back