Engine break in hell

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meldarion

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well to tell you the story, i started by taking the foam out of the air filter and putting some filter oil onto it, i turned on the transmitter and reciever to check that it was all working correctly, it turned out the trim for the steering was out a lot, the wheels were turned sharply to the left, but i fixed it, the steering was also in reverse, but i changed it at the flick of a switch. I also checked the opening of the carb, and that seemed to be fine. So i took out the glow plug and checked it, then dropped a few drops of oil into the engine, i placed the glow plug back in and gave the pull start a few pulls to lube up the parts

With the prep finished i took the car outside to the park and filled up the tank with fuel, i put my finger over the exhaust and pulled to attempt to prime the engine but i couldn't see much going on in the pipe (It was difficult however as the rascal has a rubber exhaust that tends to bend around as you put your finger over it) so i took the pipe off the exhaust and blew into it which worked much better! I placed the glow start in and began to pull on the pull start, but little happened. After about 15 or so pulls i decided to up the throttle trim slightly, but still i got nothing, so i upped it more, till i decided it was reaching a dangerous level, then i pondered for a second
I knew that the glow plug was working, i had checked, the fuel was in and primed so i knew that wasn't a problem, the idle was not too low, it was now open quite a bit, so it couldn't be that. I assumed it was something to do with the pressure of the fuel line - possibly the tank was poorly sealed, or that the engine was too cold.

So, hoping that it was just too cold, i took the car back to my house and used a hair dryer to get it nice and warm. I took the car out to my drive, put the glow in and within a few pulls it sprang into life. I took the glow out and gave it a gentle rev, it cut. I started the engine back again, and this time remembered that i should give it a few revs with the stick in, and so i did, it lasted for about 2 seconds before it cut again. I checked through the manual and it said that if it stalls when you accelerate the LSN could be too lean, so i richened it a 1/12 of a turn, but it seemed to make it worse as i could not get the car to start. Confused, i decided that i would double check the settings of the needles, and so i used the factory basics from the manual which was HSN: 2 and a half turns screwed out from the furthest in, LSN:0.70mm in from flush (Practically flush), and the idle i knew was fine already. I said a quick prayer lol and then i tried it again, and it worked! The engine ran and i let it idle for a second before i plucked up the courage to give it a slight rev, thinking it would stall. But it didn't, it seemed to be working fine

I ran it around my drive in a figure of 8 for about 3 minutes, then i cut it off and let it cool down at BDC, the temp i checked was around 220F, which seemed good. I let it cool down for about 5 minutes before i started it again, and just as before it worked fine, it started within a few pulls and then it drove with no stalls. I repeated the process and let it cool down.

The major trouble came when i went to start it again, it was a bit tougher to start, and i was pulling away (Short, sharp pulls, not fully extending the string) when all of a sudden the string came out of the pull start >.< It was frayed slightly at the end so i can only assume it had slowly been wearing away, not sure if it was my fault or if it had been maybe a slightly dodgy pull start. I was disheartened, because it was a bad end to it all, things seemed to be going well but that kinda put a dampener on things

But anyway, i have ordered another pullstart now, just hoping that it will start when i next get it fixed >.< (And that it will be easy to change)

Just thought i would share my story with you guys as i have posted quite a few things about how to get my engine run in and i wanted to let you know how it went ^^

Sounds like you got the hang of it, start slowly leaning the needles. As it breaks in it needs less fuel. It will start easier that way.:thumbup:

Will do! Just need to get this new pull start fitted
I am so gutted that it broke :( I examined the string and it seems like it is fluffy at the end, so i am guessing it slowly wore away, i am just hoping that it was dodgy pull start and wasn't down to me!
Hopefully when i get the new one fitted, and change the stock O ring for a better one on the fuel tank, i will be able to finish my run in! (I want to change the O ring because i read that the stock one is rubbish at sealing the tank, and i have a feeling that the reason it was hard to start sometimes was down to poor pressure in the fuel line, but either way, it can't harm to use a biggger O ring and provide a better seal!)
Till then i stuck some after run into the engine, cleaned the body down with a spray i got from modelsport to remove grease and oil, and did my best to get the mud off the wheels!
I am just hoping that next time once everything is fitted, i can get the fuel in, prime it, heat it up and it should hopefully start as easy as it was doing and i can finish the run in :)

Maybe consider installing a roto start or another electric starter. Pull starts are a pain. It's not if they break, it's when. Just seems to me that the ability to fire your rig up on demand is way more important then the little bit of weight you shed by using a pull start.

Yeh if this pull start messes up on me aswell then i will convert it to roto :)
I am just putting it down to the fact that the pull start i got was dodgy, cus i haven't hear many people talking about a broken pull start where the cord comes out, just where it doesn't retract >.> And i was only pulling it a short distance, i have seen vids where people are starting the same car and pull the cord like all the way out >.<
But i can only hope it will get better!
Btw if the string is broken should i just replace the pull start or do i need to change the one way bearing and the backplate aswell ?

Well, it certainly sounds to me like you know what you are doing. You're story is very detailed and I can tell you are aware of all the little things going on with starting a nitro engine for the first time. It definitly sounds like you got a piss poor pullstart to me.. or at least the string is not of high enough quality to be used in a pullstart. Anyways, it sounds like you're off to a good start.

I would think your owb and back plate should be just fine, though having a spare owb could never hurt. Good luck.

I have a roto start and I like it a lot but it is a pain sometimes, I just carry everything around in a bag

Well, all going well the pull start should arrive on the friday, i am going to get it all fitted and see how things go :)
It would not bother me to change to a roto start if necessary though, i carry a bag around with fuel, screwdrivers, after run, and all sorts of things, so shoving a roto starter in there is no worry for me :p
If it makes the engine start easier i am all for it :p

Well, all going well the pull start should arrive on the friday, i am going to get it all fitted and see how things go :)
It would not bother me to change to a roto start if necessary though, i carry a bag around with fuel, screwdrivers, after run, and all sorts of things, so shoving a roto starter in there is no worry for me :p
If it makes the engine start easier i am all for it :p

It most definitely will. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your problem..
But after reading all that you did everything that we would have told you to do so i say congratulations for doing everything properly on your own, good job! :D
Unlike some who dont really bother to try stuff, they just asume it wont work, then we ask a question like, did you check the plug? "No" Common problem with newbies.

But anyway, welcome to RCNT!

Aww :) I have you guys to thank, i read a lot of info from your forums about running in and problems you can face, and how to tune etc... So that is how i have been able to make a mental checklist when checking for problems :)
My new pullstart arrived today =) Was like the fastest delivery ever! And the shipping was only £1, Go modelsport ^^
Plan so far is to get the new engine run in on my new kyosho for now, and on sunday me and my dad are gonna fit the new pull start, change the o ring and then finish the break in, Just gotta hope the weather remains dry!
Bit of a random question, but what do you think the best method for cleaning the tires is? I didn't fancy putting a lot of water near the car, and because it has lots of little nodules on them it is hard to get in the gaps ^^
Suppose i gotta take them off and bathe them in warm water ?
Ty again for all your help and support :)

Why do you want to clean them? Are they caked with mud? If so, wait till it dries then go for a drive, it will come straight off.

If you want to clean the rims, toothbrush works well for me.
Dont bathe them, as water will get in the holes and rot the foam.

your rims and tires are easying to clean, simply take them off and put a peice of scotch tape over the small pin holes in the inner part of the rim.. spray them with a good none abrasvie cleaner and brush them good and clean and rinse them dry in the sink.. used compressed air to dry if avalible.. iv been doing it that way for 10 years with no problem .. pick up a small compressor becaues compressed air is your freind on a nitro cleaning experiance! lol.. i got my compressor brand new at home depot for $99 and it F'in rocks

Simple green, it makes tires feel and look like new.

Thanks for the advice guys :)
My tires aren't too muddy atm, i am just a bit of a cleanfreak lol, It makes me cringe when i look at them and see any bits of mud ^^
Liking the toothbrush idea :) I will pick one up next time i get chance, it is just getting in between the little bumps on the tires that makes it hard, paper towel is useless cus it just falls to bits, and cloth just cleans the surface ^^
I am gonna get some brand new tires when i have ran it in though, get some nice shiny alloys ^^ :p (Y)
Probably a bit of a noob question, and i really should just look at the manual for the car, but are the wheels hard to change? Or is it like a 5 minute job ^^

do you mean changing the wheels on your rig or gluing new tires to rims

Literally taking the current wheels off and replacing them with new ones :p

oh its just one bolt on each wheel really simple

Takes me about a minute. Unscrew the nut, change wheel, screw it back on.
Idiot-proof!!